Odd electrical problem

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Odd electrical problem

Post by Bikemike »

Some might recall my rev counter played up last time I took my Kr-1s out. Thinking my rectifier was allowing the voltage to get too high I limped home and put a different rectifier on it.
Took the bike out again- same problem.
So I got the multimeter out and measured the voltage at the battery; this is what I got-
At high idle (about 2000rpm) 13.7v- exactly what it should have.
BUT- on increasing the revs the voltage started to drop steadily- by 8000rpm the voltage was down to 5 volts
One point to bear in mind is that my battery is completely f***ed, it struggles to hold even a couple of volts. However it has been like this for a couple of years now and it hasn't caused me any problems.
Any ideas folks? I think it is unlikely that both regulators have failed in the same way, could it be the stator?

Help!

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

I remember someone else having the same problem not to long ago actually. From memory it ended up being a bad earth somewhere. :-k
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

Hi
ScottaKR wrote:I remember someone else having the same problem not to long ago actually. From memory it ended up being a bad earth somewhere. :-k
Scot helped me out with a replacement regulator when I had a similar problem a few months back. I ended up running a new earth wire between the engine and the earth point near where the regulator mounts and it solved everything. My particular problem was with the temperature gauge and the idiot lights but the regulator output was doing the same as you describe.

Cheers,

Ian
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Ian_B wrote:Hi
ScottaKR wrote:I remember someone else having the same problem not to long ago actually. From memory it ended up being a bad earth somewhere. :-k
Scot helped me out with a replacement regulator when I had a similar problem a few months back. I ended up running a new earth wire between the engine and the earth point near where the regulator mounts and it solved everything. My particular problem was with the temperature gauge and the idiot lights but the regulator output was doing the same as you describe.

Cheers,

Ian

I knew I remembered it from somewhere, just couldn't remember who'd had that same problem. :roll:

Which reminds me, I still havn't dug out those KIPS cable holders for you yet. :oops: Let me know if you still need them and I'll get some in the post to you ASAP.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)