Breakdown!!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
salty
Heavy Smoker

Breakdown!!

Post by salty »

Whilst out for a pre - MOT shakedown (its allowed on a SORN I think!) stopped at a junction, went to pull away but engine died - thought I had stalled it but did the same thing again. Some sort of problem with the side stand cut out (I Think!) as soon as you start to let the clutch out the engine dies.

1. Tried disconnecting the side stand switch (seemed to be functioning ok) problem remained.
2. Faced with a 2 mile walk I slackened the clutch adjuster - popped the cable out and bumped in in 2nd - rode home holding in useless clutch without stopping.
Any ideas?

Salty
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi, don't you have to short out the sidestand switch instead, so it 'thinks' it's up?
Are you sure you're allowed a shakedown test as well, I thought you were only allowed to go straight to, or from, an MOT station, from home, not via somewhere nice either :)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

SP_BOTT wrote:Hi, don't you have to short out the sidestand switch instead, so it 'thinks' it's up?
100% correct 8)
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
salty
Heavy Smoker

Thanks!

Post by salty »

Will try shorting the switch - thanks- as regards the lack of MOT this is rural Wiltshire, traffic offences not involving a tractor baffle the local cops - its a very lax regime, lights at night are considered important, stolen bikes are obviously unacceptable but provided you know someone who once had a tax disc and you have paid a national insurance contribution the rest is considered for townies and tourists only. Under 16s should only ride mopeds and not take the p*ss on a firebade. Children can only drive cars owned by a family member.

Salty