KIPS motor stutter

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
migsy
Light Smoker

Post by migsy »

Charles wrote:So have you changed plugs/battery once again? With what results?

Charles
I will be ordering a new battery and some plugs in a few days, i'll let you know. if i get no joy then, it will be a full rebuild i think.
EAT, SLEEP AND RACE.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Re: kips

Post by ScottaKR »

migsy wrote:
ScottaKR wrote:Easy way to see if it's your battery is to grab some jumper cables and hook up your car battery to the bike. If when you turn on the ignition the KIPS motor still just buzz's then it's not the battery, in which case you may need to replace the KIPS motor, or pull it down and see if you can sort the issue yourself.
Good luck.
What rev-range do the kips come in? is it below 4000rpm or above?
just seems like my bike does not want to go at-all. ](*,)
They open at a much higher rpm, but if they are stuck open they do make the engine very sluggish in the lower rev range (I've had mis-aligned KIPS in my KR1 and it felt very flat). Have you checked the alignment of the valves yet?
The fact that you said the KIPS isn't cycling when the ignition is turned on means there's a problem with that system, whether it's the battery dying or the KIPS motor itself is shot, either way youd be best off to sort that out before you go to the expense of a full engine rebuild.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

try doing the the KIPS systrem reset within the manual, diconnect the KIPS plug and connect one of the ends of the triangular plug to the positive terminal. It should make the motor spin one way, reverse the connections makes it spin the other. I had the same problem in the past. Doing this seemed to reset things.
migsy
Light Smoker

kips motor

Post by migsy »

just stripped my kips motor and gave it the once over. i have fitted it back and it working a treat again. some how my bike seems to be mis-firing in the left cylinder, im guessing this is most likely a plug issue? ](*,)
EAT, SLEEP AND RACE.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Re: kips motor

Post by ScottaKR »

migsy wrote:just stripped my kips motor and gave it the once over. i have fitted it back and it working a treat again. some how my bike seems to be mis-firing in the left cylinder, im guessing this is most likely a plug issue? ](*,)
Glad to hear you got the KIPS sorted.
The mis-fire is likely either plug, plug lead, or carb. Try swapping the plugs, then the leads and see if the miss follows either. If the miss stays put after swapping both, then look at your carbs (give them a real thorough clean out), and make sure they are syncronised.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)