revving lowers battery voltage

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
hacky
Smoker

revving lowers battery voltage

Post by hacky »

I have the RR26 from electrexworld and their stator. Since I inserted these something strange happens:

How can it happen that when I rev up, the voltage goes down? I insert a fully loaded new battery. At 1000 RPM the battery gives a steady 12 volts and when I take it for a spin I can see all control light dim when I rev up above 5000 RPM. The front light goes off when I do this long enough and after some more time even the CDI shuts down and halts the complete bike. Then wen I rev it down below 6000 RPM or so it comes back to life. I'd say the reg/rec is attached the wrong way, but I looked a dozen times to check it. I should check the output voltage of this. Maybe it's too high or even negative, but I don't feel like taking off the tank...

maybe it's a common problem anyone can point out?
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

You did connect the battery the right way around???

The earth from the battery is connected and good?

Seriously though it sounds like there is something wrong with either the generator or the reg.

Disconnect the white/red wire from the battery (there is a handy joint just off the battery or undo the lead. Fir the bike up (it will run without the battery and measure the voltage from the white/red wire and the chassis.

This should be around 10~12volts at 1000rpm, going up to around 14 volts when you rev it.

If this checks out ok and you did have the battery the right way around, take the left side panel off. In the fuse box there is a fuse which goes to the battery (20A). There is another, can't remember the size but it has a brown and white wire going to it. This comes from the regulator. Measure the voltage here this should be 10~12.5 volts maximum. Any less and either the regulator or the generator is broken.

Then you will have to remove the tank
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

cthanks. That sounds like a good way to find the cause. The battery is connected perfectly, so I can amost conclude that the regulator or the generator. damn! I keep buying new ones of these.
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
Cexley
Smoker

Post by Cexley »

I have a similar problem. Put new battery in and meter shows a constant 12-14v whether the bike is revved or not. I did the trick above and disconnected the battery and ran up the engine and it showed a constant 4v.... The previous battery had very little electrolyte in. I topped it back up and it seems fine. I have only had the bike a month (doing top end rebuild) but as it won't rev, I suspect something (or everything!) has been fried. Has generator and/or regulator packed up. Any ideas?
KR250 Tandem - Love It
KR1 Project - Sold
XT600Z 3AJ Tenere Overlander
TZR250R 3MA Reverse Cylinder - Sold
TZR250R 3XV V-Twin - Road & Track
TDR250 - Road & Track
XTZ850 Super Ten Dakar Sonauto Rep - Sold
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

what showed a constant 4volts? The output of the regulator? damn, that must be bad.

Damn..I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a regulator and generator...again... :cry:
Cexley
Smoker

Post by Cexley »

Checked the fuse holder and found the white wire that connects to a 20amp fuse and the red/white wire that goes to the battery quite corroded. Cleaned up the connections and now getting correct charge readings. Maybe you have a similar problem. I also check and cleaned the 2 main earths. The one form from the battery and the one by the regulator.
KR250 Tandem - Love It
KR1 Project - Sold
XT600Z 3AJ Tenere Overlander
TZR250R 3MA Reverse Cylinder - Sold
TZR250R 3XV V-Twin - Road & Track
TDR250 - Road & Track
XTZ850 Super Ten Dakar Sonauto Rep - Sold