ignitionmate readings

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
hacky
Smoker

ignitionmate readings

Post by hacky »

Hi, I have the possibility to use an ignitionmate from a friend. Anyone knows the readings I should get from the coils, CDI and spark plugs?

I'm especially interrested in the AC voltage coming from the exciter/ignition coil's red and black lead. in my bike it gives 2 volts when kick-starting. I'm guessing (actually hoping!) that's not enough and I found the problem...

Also the peak-voltage (Or AC voltage?) of the pickup coli is under 3 volts when kicking. That should be enough, does it?

There is an empty list in the middle of the booklet that lets you fill in all relevant values (peak-voltages, peak-kilovoltages and AC-volts) of the bike. A scan/photo of that page of a working bike would be perfect. I'm sure I will make one of my bike when it runs again.
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

voltages are irrelevant (see your other topic).
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

well...it's not resistance that's powering the spark plugs. Just by checking the resistance it doesn't guarantee the item is okay. I've been told that coils can be faulty even though the resistance is within limits. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I phoned someone who raced the KR1S back in 92 and he drilled holes in the flywheel cover to keep the ignition coil from overheating. The resistance always checked out okay, but sometimes replacing the coil solved the problem.

I have a heap of spares, but most of them gathered by replacing them, so I guess all I have spare is faulty. :) All I can rely on is my multimeter and for now an ignitionmate.
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.