what reading

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
tescr500
Oil Injector

what reading

Post by tescr500 »

Hi does anyone know what reading i should have at the coil primary and earth wires, thats bw and by on the wiring loom and also what readind from cdi ive had apart nothing looks burnt out cheers wayne.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

It's all in the manual, just download it from this site.

Charles
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

cheers, don't know if i done it right but when i tried the stator yellows was .9 but when try the coloured wires from stator which i assume is the exciter 4.7 which seemed to be correct other test on stator coloured was only a reading of 16 was supposed to be 100-200 have i done and read this correctly as im new to using a meter, gunson pocket meter im using, all other tests ive done seem to be ok just that one, coil test came back wrong as well so im tossing a coin to coil or stator gene, ive got a coil coming so i can try this after that im lost
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

tescr500 wrote:cheers, don't know if i done it right but when i tried the stator yellows was .9
you measured the resistance from one yellow lead to another yellow lead, right? If so value is correct.
tescr500 wrote: but when try the coloured wires from stator which i assume is the exciter 4.7 which seemed to be correct
4.7 is correct when measuring white against red.
tescr500 wrote: other test on stator coloured was only a reading of 16 was supposed to be 100-200 have i done and read this correctly as im new to using a meter,
Value should be between 100-200 when measuring black against red lead..... So that one seems to be faulty.
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

thats perfect you divided that up spot on, so that means new gene then i would assume bugger, so that would explain the small coil i tried you got a faint tingle from but only when i earthed myself cheers
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

that is odd though it was rewound but he still had no spark the guy i bought it off, flywheel could it be but when spun up with drill lights neutral all come on with no battery so alternator working cheers
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

tescr500 wrote: so alternator working cheers
Had the same problem, alternator was working fine, exciter coils were faulty.
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

thats excellent thanks for your help wayne
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

stator has many windings for general electrical things, and 2 seperate just for the ignition. it' always those last 2 that go berzerk :wink:
Last edited by JanBros on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

cheers i think electrics are frustrating everything seems ok but its not but at least i bought a meter a handy thing to have around.
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

put the new generator on today and second kick she was off and running would upload photos but don't know how, not bad for a bike thats stood out in all weathers for 10 years cheers for all your help wayne.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

tescr500 wrote:put the new generator on today and second kick she was off and running

great =D>
tescr500 wrote: would upload photos but don't know how, not bad for a bike thats stood out in all weathers for 10 years cheers for all your help wayne.

viewtopic.php?t=4224