Fried battery/rev counter

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Chris stockdale

Post by Chris stockdale »

Hi all out there, wonder if anyone can help me with an electrical problem with my 92 KR1S, have just got it back on the road after yet another engine rebuild, and have done just over 400 miles, when it just started dying, rev counter stopped working along with oil temp guage + horn etc, on inspection of the battery (which was new) it was dry as a bone, unfortunately electrics are'nt my thing, could it be an overcharging problem? Any help from members would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Who fitted the battery, as they often come dry and need to be filled (special bottles of fluid come with the battery) before use. Although seeing as youve done 400 miles, I'd assume this had been done, but you just never know.

To answer your question,Yes, it's very likely to be a charging problem. The regulator can fail causeing the charge voltage to go through the roof. The first casualty is normally the tacho (as you noticed) along with assorted lights, followed closely by the CDI unit.
Before you even think about starting it again, make sure you have fitted a brand new regulator (important, make sure you fit a new one or you may be replaceing it all again #-o ) along with replaceing the battery, tacho, burnt out bulbs, and possibly the CDI unit itself (if it didn't survive the ordeal).
Once youve done that, and you decide to start it up again, make sure you check the charging voltage both at idle and higher up the rev range so that you dont cook everything again. Refer to the owners manual for the relavent specs (available for download near the top left corner of the page if you dont already have it).
Good luck.

Cheers, Scott.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Chris stockdale

Hi Scott

Cheers for your email, yes battery was definately OK (sorry forgot to mention this is the second time this has happened) I did replace the tacho + oil guage (bought thru breaker as complete unit ie: speedo/ tacho/rev counter assembly) + CDI unit from breaker... however did not replace the regulator (big mistake?!)

Brief description of bike: since it was off the road almost 2 years till this latest incident, have had the engine rebuilt + bored out to 300cc, frame + wheels powder coated so looks pretty good and was going well... untill (as my previous message). Could probably run a 1000cc diesel for less, (probably could have just about scraped enough together to get one on the never never! over the period of time The KR1's been off the road, but they all seem a bit souless)

Trying to source yet another replacement instrument panel assembly at the moment (battery replaced + coil is as far as I've got at the moment) CDI unit as you suggested will probably have to be replaced as well! Hopefully can source from breakers, as asking price for new is unfortunately not going to be possible at present. Will keep you posted on progress.

Once again many thanks for your advice

Cheers

Chris
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Chris If you cannot source the cdi & regulator localy let me know as I might be able to help you out
Gary
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi Chris,

Your 100% welcome mate. Advice is always freely given around here, all you need do is ask. :mrgreen:
I'm quite surprised that its happened twice with such a gap in between. :shock:
If you get stuck for parts, or the breakers want to charge an arm and a leg for them, just put a post in the wanted section and someone will usually be able to sort you out.
Sounds like youve put quite a bit of time and effort into your baby. Cant wait to see some pics.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Cheers, Scott.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Chris stockdale

Fried electrics et all

Hi good people.

Cheers for all your help on my electrics probs

CDI unit fried + clocks, have managed to source replacement clocks, and have posted an email in wanted items for CDI unit, have found a couple of places that do reg/rectifiers, so any feedback on these would be welcome

www.bbbikeshop.co.uk RR8 reg/rec (looks different from whats on bike at the moment.

also www.electrexworld.co.uk RR26 (looks the same)

am I having a blonde moment!

Many thanks

javascript:emoticon(':?')

Chris
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Fried electrics et all

Post by the-elf »

Chris stockdale wrote:
also www.electrexworld.co.uk RR26 (looks the same)
I've brought stuff from there in the past and I've never had a single problem.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
rgvlee
Heavy Smoker

Post by rgvlee »

i bought the reg/rect from electrexworld, unit is physically bigger so you'll need to drill some holes to mount, but works and does everything it should. No way I am putting a kawasaki one back in, bloody things take everything else out with them when the blow.