revs/2 , regrec >14V

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
hacky
Smoker

revs/2 , regrec >14V

Post by hacky »

Hi guys, After the winter-break my battery was dead again. It was nearly a year old, but smoking hot and completely dry after a ride before the engine completely stopped... :( Imeasured the voltage over the battery and it reads about 18 volts with 6k revs! :-k So I decided to replace the regulator/rectofier. I replaced the battery, the engine works nice, but some problems arose:

1. The voltage on the new battery still hits 18 volts with 6k revs.
2. The rev. counter only shows about half of the actual revs. This affects also the power valves which don't even open. (The neede will never hit 6k)
3. The right turning-indicator doesn't flash,but just stays on.
4. The right turning-light stays off. (probably broken due to over-Voltage)

Does the pickup-coil tell the CDI what 's the revs? How can it be half then? I checked the distance to the rotor...

Can one of the stator be broken? How can this generate an over-voltage? It should get less when a generator breaks down...
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

A knackered rev counter points to an volyage problem resulting from a blowen reg. Also the CDI tends to fry and that'll need repairing or replacing. Blubs are also blown etc.

Did you replace the old reg with a new item or a second hand one? It sounds like its still knacked along with your CDI and/or your rev counter.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

I also tried another CDI. It had the same symptoms.
It was a second hand reg/rec. Could that be the only reason that the voltage is too high? I didn't check the wiring, but the cable connections look OK.
does the rev ounter itself steer the powervalve servo? I don't need the rev counter for the power valves, do I?

I tried to measure the old reg, but with a digital machine it reads pretty high resistor values. At least very different from what they should be. I'll try to compare the 2 regs.
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Sounds like the second hand reg is a dud as well.
If the powervalves arnt working then it's likely that the CDI has been damaged.
Get yourself a new reg so you dont fry anything else (like the second CDI) then start checking and replaceing the other damaged items AFTER youve confirmed that the charge rate is correct.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

ScottaKR wrote:Sounds like the second hand reg is a dud as well.
If the powervalves arnt working then it's likely that the CDI has been damaged.
Get yourself a new reg so you dont fry anything else (like the second CDI) then start checking and replaceing the other damaged items AFTER youve confirmed that the charge rate is correct.
Yep, ScottaKR is correct, as soon as you said you got a second hand one I guessed the worse. If the reg blows it can fry the CDI, battery and rev counter, plus the odd minor part. In the worse case you'll need to replace all three.

The CDI controls everything, and yours sounds like its dead. If you have blown the Rev counter as well then the bike won't run right as it works of the impulses from the ignition so it'll need replacing.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

heard about a yamaha reg that works better and is cheaper. Are the wires connected the same way? Anyone has the type#?
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Look in the KRchive section and there is a supplier of New non genuine ones listed in there.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

the-elf wrote:Look in the KRchive section and there is a supplier of New non genuine ones listed in there.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/kawasaki ... 699-0.html

it says the RR26 suits the KR1S.

Then you could also buy said item in Holland:

http://www.carmo.nl/models/KAWASAKI/ER5.htm

cheers,
Charles
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

That's great. I'm getting a new one then. I checked the othe CDI and it still steers the power valves. I noticed one diffference: There is a small delay when initializing the valves. It opens, waits aout 3 secs and then closes... my old one just opened and closed immediately. Funny thing...

I'm going to make my own rev. counter. /tacho I'm planning to use a pic (arduino) to measure time between pulses. I have a led array and an LCD. Think I'm going for the led-array to keep it stupid simple. I think I'll add an over-voltage led too. :) I'll make that led red :) Anyone has any tips or good ideas?
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

If I remember rightly a Kr1 opens the kips valves and closes straight away, but the Kr-1s waits a couple of seconds before closing. I reckon your new one is Kr-1s.
Hope you get it all sorted soon,

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

That's funny. So I had a real KR1 CDI before?

I'm sure it will be all OK soon. CDI sorted, replace the reg/rec. most of the bulbs. Maybe make a new tacho or just leave it out until I find one.

thanks guys, for the info's
rgvlee
Heavy Smoker

Post by rgvlee »

I love it how the reg/rect takes everything with it ](*,)

The RR26 reg/rect will require you to drill new holes in the reg/rect mounting plate, but other than that it is plug and play from memory.

1234 is the KR1 CDI, 1287 is the KR-1S.