dodgy electrics

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
codhead
lurker

dodgy electrics

Post by codhead »

new one for u here went for a blast today only to discover that the rev counter works up to about 4 k then very intermitent and the temp guage rise and falls with revs, not to mention the head lamp that has the power of a candle. Did i mention that it wont start with lights switched on.

Would be really grateful for some ideas here chaps... cheers
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Sounds like a bad earth, check battery (-) to frame connections, I would also pull every connection apart & spray with "WD40" then "refit" dont use grease as this can cause a "resistance" Not sure but I think the only "earth" on the "kr" is by the battery, I'm sure somebody on here will confirm this or correct me if i'm wrong
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

There is a second earth next to the recifier below the tank. I would get the multimeter out and start checking all the wiring, and coil resistances. The rev counter is connected to the ignition as well as the 12V wiring. Will the engine rev out cleanly?

I suspect the fault is on the 12V side though. try disconnectiong various parts like the headlamp etc and see if that cures the fault with the rev counter. that may help you to narrow down the problem.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

agree with the above... dodgy earth... somethign is shorting out on the loom.

disconnect everything but the lighting loom sounds like the suspect...