KR1s Re Commisioning

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

KR1s Re Commisioning

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Guys,

Just bought another KR1S that has been stood for a while and has no spark. The KIPS servo was not cycling either.

I fitted the CDI from my other bike and now the kips cycle when the ignition is switched on however still no spark.

Is the most likely culprit now expected to be the stator?

I have just ordered a puller so I'll try to swap that over with my other bike when it arrives also.

Are there any other precations I should take? I have read here that if the regulator fails then the CDI can get damaged. Could this have been the cause? If so should I change it to be sure? I obviously don't the same problem again :oops: .

Cheers
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Before I go much further swapping stator plate I noticed a wire red / yellow that is not connected (see below). Can't obviously see where it connects. Can anyone tell me if and where it should be connected.

I am also interested in understanding the function of the clutch lever switch (see picure). Are bikes usually fitted with a side stand switch? this one doesn't seem to have one. Is the clutch switch to cut the engine when the side stand is down if you let it out?

Want to check these out first before I waste too much time.

Cheers

col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

the kr had a side stand cut out switch, wouldnt start with the side stand down, the wire from the lever will be for that.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

top left off the screen you can download the manuals : it's all in there :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

dont worry about the wire mate mines exactly the same and i thought and felt the exact same thing when i changed the engine and found it :shock: the mechanic calmed me down and as of yesterday it runs perfect as it is :D
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

garye345 wrote:dont worry about the wire mate mines exactly the same and i thought and felt the exact same thing when i changed the engine and found it :shock: the mechanic calmed me down and as of yesterday it runs perfect as it is :D
Hi Gary,

OK sounds like you have the loose wire identical to mine.

I'll have to check out the side stand switch situation.

Cheers
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

I had one of those... just left it flapping :mrgreen:

Everything seems to work well enough \:D/
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

as per nate :)
Smokings Good For You
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. The loose wire seems normal.

The side stand switch has been removed and replaced with a wiring "loop" which I have checked for continuity. The interlock switch seems to be working also.

If I can get the flywheel off :roll: then I will try a known stator.

Cheers
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Rather than just replaceing things randomly, you'd be better off to get a manual (download link in upper left corner) and test things first, as it could just be a bad connection in a plug somewhere or maybe even the coil.
Good luck mate.
Scott
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

if you suspect the rectifier and you have a spare id change it just to prevent any more damage..then sort out the problem if its still there...as above before getting spares it could be a bad connection on a bike of that age....(poor old thing)... :lol:
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

mr_bungholeo wrote:if you suspect the rectifier and you have a spare id change it just to prevent any more damage..then sort out the problem if its still there...as above before getting spares it could be a bad connection on a bike of that age....(poor old thing)... :lol:
Don't have a spare rectifier I'm affraid :( .

Spent yesterday evening checking thinks over and still no joy as yet.

Stupid question but are the exciter coils the larger coils on the stator plate? They look very black but seem to be OK to the resistance values in the manual.

Also checked the pickup coil resistance and ignition coil resistance of primary windings. Couldn't get a reading on the secondary windings so I thought I had found the problem. Swapped it to my other bike to check complete with the rectifier and my other bike fired up. :-k .

So I have a known good CDI, coil, rectifier does work (not sure if that means it is OK) and good resistance readings for the exciter coils, pickup coil.

Starting to think this could be a bad connection somewhere. Will start here next time round.

Any other suggestions welcome :wink: .

Cheers
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Check that the recifier isn't allowing too much voltage to go to the battery and CDI.

The ignition coils are the three bare ones on the stator.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

the-elf wrote:Check that the recifier isn't allowing too much voltage to go to the battery and CDI.

Bare isn't the word that comes to mind with my ignition coils. My initial reaction was this is obviously the problem as they are black and look burnt but the coils seemed to check out OK for resistance?

Is this likely to be the problem?

the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Bertie_Mollie wrote:
the-elf wrote:Check that the recifier isn't allowing too much voltage to go to the battery and CDI.

Bare isn't the word that comes to mind with my ignition coils.
Opps I missed the word "not " out of that sentance. The three coils which a re not bare are the ones for the ignition. I remember when mine went it was a slow death. Where the coils started to breakdown under load but checked out ok on the multimeter. They slow got worse until they were totally knacked.

You haven't got one of the cut out switches like the sidestand or clutch stuck in? as they will short out the spark, same with the kill switch?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk