oil and neutral light

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
vector74
Heavy Smoker

oil and neutral light

Post by vector74 »

Hi,

After having a load of grieve from idiot lights I got another idiot light set and wires. This one is the best of the 3 I have and the connectors are tight and hold bulbs firm. All the bulbs are tested and working... but now the oil and neutral light wont come on (bulbs are good) They did work before but now they dont. The high beam and indicator work. They stopped working on the old set of idiot lights and I though it was just because I messed up the connectors trying to get them to hold the bulbs in tight. Any idea why the oil and neutral lights would stop working ? I changed the fuses also incase it was that but no luck. I am fairly sure its not the idiot light and its wires to the black connector as they are in really good order so its somewhere else.

Any ideas appreciated before I smash it with a hammer :) ](*,)
kr1-s c2
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Have you checked the conection on the bottom of the engine, if that comes undone your oil and neutral lights seem to go awol for no reason.

I speak from experience having spent god knows how many hours trying to suss this one in the past. :lol:
The last time Liverpool Fc won the league, George Michael was black and Michael Jackson was straight or visa versa, it's that long ago I get confused.
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Thanks! Havent checked that yet. Will report back later with my findings :)
kr1-s c2
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Checked it and it looks fine and untouched. err totally baffling :?
kr1-s c2
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

wiring diagram is a bit vague but it looks like it goes through the diode pack...get a multi meter out and check for infinite resistance one way...no resistance the other...if you get resistance both ways the diode pack is fcuked....best of luck :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

always listen to mr b,repeat always listen to mr b,repeat 20 times!you know he knows!had a same ish problem myself on one today,what i found was the connector didnt fit tight enough that goes on the bottom of engine so just flattened it a bit with pliers for a snug fit and bobs ya,sorted.bet its what mr b says though :)
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

steady on...if the wiring diagram was a bit more in depth i may b able to trace the wires from the oil light to a common connector..maybe the cdi but its a crap diagram...give me a day ill try to induce it tomorrow... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Thanks for the help. I think it was me messing around with the old idiot lights and their crap connections on the oil and neutral bulbs which has blown something somewhere. Will check that diode. The bulbs were constantly flickering and falling out of the sockets.. now ive got a good idiot light set with good connections the oil and neutral dont work at all.. have to laff I guess heh.
kr1-s c2
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Tested the diode there (using the manual description) with a multimter and it reads nothing one way and a fair bit the other which is what its meant to do it seems from manual. Should it read a little bit one way ? mine seems to register nothing at all one way ?
kr1-s c2
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Yep thats correct.

Have you check for continuality using a multimeter to check you have a curcuit from the switch to the lights and from those lights to earth?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

No :) Will try and check that .. thanks.
kr1-s c2
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

This problem was a faulty neutral switch btw.
kr1-s c2
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

Phaaark me.....

That is some persistence on a problem.....

2 years to fix it. :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

lol yeh.. I hadnt used the bike since then really so only got round to fixing it now :)
kr1-s c2