missing sparks

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
alanlj
lurker

missing sparks

Post by alanlj »

hi folks
I am looking for a bit of help to put my KR1-S back on the road after storing it for about three years.It was a good runner before being laid up but now I cant start it.Battery is fine as is fuel,the puzzle is when the ignition is turned on the power valves activate and I have good sparks for the first kick but then lose the sparks on the second kick.if the ignition is turned off then on again I get sparks on first kick then lose them,anybody got any idea what might be causing this?any help would be very much appreciated,cheers
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

:shock:

can't think off anything :?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

i would say cdi mine did that or was it the stator :? i know it was one of the 2 but it was ages ago im afraid
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

I am having similar trouble.

Took the bike for a rego inspection today, everything was just fine. On the return journey it just quit. No sparks.

It has been standing for about 6 months sinsce I got it. (you cannot believe how hard bits are to come by here in Australia) I bought it as a box of bits and put it back together with new discs chain sprockets tyres etc.

It will run for about 2 seconds, then just stops...... Had to push it for 8kms.... Drat.....

I tried a new cdi (well different) and coil.. Not a fx.

Will try a new exciter and then go through the pain of extracting the rotor.....

I'll let you know how I get on! :D
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

smithyrc30 wrote:I am having similar trouble.

Took the bike for a rego inspection today, everything was just fine. On the return journey it just quit. No sparks.

It has been standing for about 6 months sinsce I got it. (you cannot believe how hard bits are to come by here in Australia) I bought it as a box of bits and put it back together with new discs chain sprockets tyres etc.

It will run for about 2 seconds, then just stops...... Had to push it for 8kms.... Drat.....

I tried a new cdi (well different) and coil.. Not a fx.

Will try a new exciter and then go through the pain of extracting the rotor.....

I'll let you know how I get on! :D
start with the pain :!: :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
moltenmaniac

Post by moltenmaniac »

my guess would also be the cdi, or perhaps a dodgy kill switch (would be an easy fix, connecting it to another power supply (battery charger or similar) should diagnose whether it is a stator/regulator problem, hope this helps
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Pain Pain Pain

Post by smithyrc30 »

Ok Pain is where I'm at :x

One of the exciter coils has gone, the rotor housing stinks of fried wire, sooo, I have to get the rotor off, but it doesn't want to play :?

I have the puller engaged on it, been there over night , tighter than a ducks chuff. I've tapped it, hit it, sworn at it.......

Anyone got any top tips for persuading the b'stard that it wants to come off?

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a good quality re-wound unit. I don't want to put another one of duboius origin in to have it shag out again.... One 8km push is enough!!!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Pain Pain Pain

Post by smithyrc30 »

Ok Pain is where I'm at :x

One of the exciter coils has gone, the rotor housing stinks of fried wire, sooo, I have to get the rotor off, but it doesn't want to play :?

I have the puller engaged on it, been there over night , tighter than a ducks chuff. I've tapped it, hit it, sworn at it.......

Anyone got any top tips for persuading the b'stard that it wants to come off?

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a good quality re-wound unit. I don't want to put another one of duboius origin in to have it shag out again.... One 8km push is enough!!!
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Mine took a lot more pressure than I thought was safe to be honest. Had to use a long handled ratched, but it did give a satifying bang when it came off.

Make sure your puller doesn't flair the bolt opening in the end of the crank. Kawa list a little button thing that goes in to the bolt hole to stop the puller damaging it.

Good luck !
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

You can get new stator's from http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

Good prices and work well, I've got one fitted on my bike.
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

It's off!

Post by smithyrc30 »

Left the puller on for 24hrs... The little bugger didn't budge. So I got the blow lamp out took the puller off, heated the centre of the stator until the outside bit was hot enough to boil spit off quickly. Put the puller back on and tightened the bugger up as tight as I could. Then left it to cool down. Hey presto in the morning the crank and the stator had got divorced.....

Just got to get a new stator now and we're set.

Thanks for the advice, have ordered an electrex one!
:D :D :D