5000 revs

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
kr1chris

5000 revs

Post by kr1chris »

Ok so in goes my freshly rebuilt (well, top anyway) engine into my never engine project bike, go out for a ride- and on the road won't rev past 5/ 5and a half thousand. Doubt the bike is producing more than 10-15 brake max as it is. Just spent 400 notes on the engine so should be no troubles there, carbs are clean- so elecs? After the ride I put down the side stand and engine cuts out, even though my hand is off the clutch.

I remember someone saying something about this topic on the old forum- but obviously can't find that now so any ideas!?

Cheers!!
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

think someone had this problem and it turmed out to be CDI
is bike running on both cylinders? KIPS valves set up right?
Smokings Good For You
rockerted
Heavy Smoker

Post by rockerted »

mine always cuts out when u put s/stand down, its supposed too i believe, although i can start it if its plenty of fuel in with s/stand down..ted 8)
remember, you can strap a monkey to a rocket, but that won,t make it a pilot..
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I had the same problem but it wouldn't rev past 8k. Is your rev counter needle bouncing around? If it is then the pick up coil is knacked. If not I would check the resistances on the stator. If that fails then swap the CDI unit over with a known working one and see if that cures it.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

probably the stator.

it's a known problem. usualy if that's the problem you get no more sparks, but sometimes they still work at lower rev's.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
kr1chris

Post by kr1chris »

Cheers for all the feedback. Time to dig out the spare bottom end and do some swapping over. Will post whatever the problem is! Kips valves are ok, and move fine etc on ignition, rev needle bounces about when side stand goes down but not while moving. Lets wiat and see... :)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

kr1chris wrote: rev needle bounces about when side stand goes down but not while moving. Lets wiat and see... :)
that sounds like it could be the diode under the tank. Grap your self a copy of the manual and a multimeter and best of luck. Finding the fault on mine was a sod as it was only failing under load for the first month or so until it packed in totally. Once that happened it was easy to find what was causing it :lol:
kr1chris

Post by kr1chris »

Yes, I know, this is a cop out.... but.

I spent a couple more eves tinkering with it (yes the bike), with no luck- also a lot of my spares cannot really be described as 'known good' rather than 'likely shit'- which is why they are collecting dust and/or small animals in search of a new home.

So, I took the bike to a dyno, and pulled out the credit card.
Problem was- combination of dodgy wiring around base of engine and flywheel, and previous owner's (in loosest sense of the word) maverick jetting.
Journey home was substancially more fun than journey there....

Totally std bike (kr1), not yet run in properly- 45.3 bhp. Does this sound ok, i.e as opposed to pub figures this is actually the exact figure- or anything else that might help? Power questions, definitely more fun than wiring questions! Still stutters abit around 5/ 6 but has never been on a run as it is so hoping this might improve , optomistic maybe but fingers crossed...!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

That power figure sounds about right for a standard KR1. If you want to get another 5BHP fit some KR1S exhausts and jetting.
rockerted
Heavy Smoker

Post by rockerted »

aqccording to 89 manual, 40.5 kw or (55ps) @ 10 500 rpm 8) cheers ted i hope this helps ( if it,s going ok ride it!!) 8)
remember, you can strap a monkey to a rocket, but that won,t make it a pilot..
kr1chris

Post by kr1chris »

Cheers guys will give the lad at least a bit of a chance first, few more hundred miles, and then see....!