Kips operation

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
martin
Premix Junkie

Re: Kips operation

Post by martin »

am sure the cdi you bought off ebay. [part no ending 34] is for a kr1 b2 and not a kr1s [it will be perfectly ok. but on turning the ignition key]. is diff to a kr1s cdi. it should open and close without a pause, unlike a kr1s cdi
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

will do then, but will be late o'clock when i get to it!
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

martin wrote:am sure the cdi you bought off ebay. [part no ending 34] is for a kr1 b2 and not a kr1s [it will be perfectly ok. but on turning the ignition key]. is diff to a kr1s cdi. it should open and close without a pause, unlike a kr1s cdi
Cheers Martin, wasn't sure the differences but I was hoping it'd make the valves work or help rule the CDI out of the problem.. Sadly I think it's confused things even more.
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

I read a blog somewhere on tuning KR1s and they ran a test on different CDI and they were the same with regard to power/ign advance etc as I remember. So at least performance wise they should be the same. The cycling method at the start isn't important really
that's just anticipating a future question!
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

you are right. apart from the cycle on start up and I think the kr1s cdi revs a bit more at the top end there is,nt really any difference.
current bikes
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Good to know.. I'm considering opening up the CDI I got on ebay today for interests sake, did the same with a DT175 unit years ago and found it was just a really simple little PCB. I'm guessing I'll not be so lucky with this one :cry:
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

Mine does 0, -10v, 0, -10v
The -10v most likely as the battery is a little flat.
It could be that the motor doesn't reverse but just keeps going the same way. Like wiper motors do. They only run one way, it's a mechanical system that 'reverses' the direction. There's a 3 way connector too, could be that's an encoder to determine position, or maybe just a simple potentiometer/variable resistor
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

philfingers wrote:Mine does 0, -10v, 0, -10v
The -10v most likely as the battery is a little flat.
It could be that the motor doesn't reverse but just keeps going the same way. Like wiper motors do. They only run one way, it's a mechanical system that 'reverses' the direction. There's a 3 way connector too, could be that's an encoder to determine position, or maybe just a simple potentiometer/variable resistor
Thanks Phil, definitly helps to know what a working one does. I' going to try and open a servo motor up to find out what the 3 wires do, I've read they might tell the CDI what position the servo is in and another thread on a forum suggested they go to a stepper type motor for fine control of the valve position! Need to find out more first but thanks for the info.. big help.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Doug,
I will have a look in the loft to see if I have a spare servo that you can try.
Cheers
Bernie
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

500bernie wrote:Hi Doug,
I will have a look in the loft to see if I have a spare servo that you can try.
Cheers
Bernie
Thanks Bernie, I think that's my next step now..
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

if you cant find one Bernie, I have about 6 of them
current bikes
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Martin,

Only 6 :shock:

It is a while since I have been up in the loft, last time was when I was having my last big clear out.

I have never had one of the servo motors apart, do they have a limit switch that breaks the circuit when it reaches the end of cycle in one direction (at the same time making the opposite direction circuit waiting for when it gets its next signal/feed?

Cheers,
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I'm starting to think it must have Bernie. I made some progress. The servo doesn't move with the ignition, so I unplugged the 3 pin connector, and it does. Just one way, then nothing. Plug the connector back in, turn on the ignition, the motor move back, then nothing again. I think it has to be something to do with the switching in the servo.

Phil got some readings off his working one last night that showed my CDI seems to be putting power out properly so I think I'm getting closer to the problem now!
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

I'll take a look at mine again tonight. Have you checked the connections of the 3 pin back to where it runs too. I guess CDI but haven't looked at the schematic. Mine has what appears to be a non stock 3 pin connector
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

philfingers wrote:I'll take a look at mine again tonight. Have you checked the connections of the 3 pin back to where it runs too. I guess CDI but haven't looked at the schematic. Mine has what appears to be a non stock 3 pin connector
Yep, both connectors run back through the harness straight to the CDI. I've checked the wiring end to end and it's all ok. I'm heading into the garage to strip the servo down, could be some time..