Kips operation

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
DougB
Oil Injector

Kips operation

Post by DougB »

Hi,

I've got a running KR C3 that I've only had a month or so. It came without a battery (and I know not to run a KR without one) so I've fitted a new one and started it up yesterday to check charging is ok. Then noticed the valves don't move. I've had Yam YPVS before and they always do a clean up/reset movement as you turn the ignition on and I think the KR is supposed to do the same? Any indication what it should be doing would be great.

Cheers, Doug.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Kips operation

Post by Luders »

Depends on what ignition you have. If it's standard then it should do a power on cycle like you were expecting. The valves open for about 3 seconds, then close again.

I would disconnect the motor and check you're getting a signal using a multi meter.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Luders wrote:Depends on what ignition you have. If it's standard then it should do a power on cycle like you were expecting. The valves open for about 3 seconds, then close again.

I would disconnect the motor and check you're getting a signal using a multi meter.
Thanks for the info.. Looks like the CDI might be goosed. Noticed the motor hums for a few seconds then stops, took a reading off the leads on the 2 block connector and get -12V for a few seconds, then nothing, then -12V again. Guess it should swap to +12V for a bit in between to turn the motor the other way.
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

I'm not wholly familiar with them, but if you're getting 12v, then a gap, then -12v [or reverse polarity] AND the motor is humming them it sounds like something it seized up, the kips cables, KIPS themselves or the KIPS motor/gearbox assembly.
Disconnect the KIPS cables and see if it still happens. If so then it's worth stripping the motor down
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yeah, it's not your CDI. It may not be turning because there is not enough slack in the cables to the motor. Try just losening them off a bit and trying again. Let us know how you get on.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok, had half an hour messing in the garage..

I took the pulley off, same result. I followed the bit in the manual, feed DC to the servo motor between the pins on the 2 block connector (black and blue) and the motor moved fine both ways right over from closed to open depending which way round I fed the power so I think the motor is ok. Checked the power out of the CDI again but at the CDI blocks this time, and it's only putting out the negative power -12V, there's no positive coming along so I'm still stuck. Suspecting the CDI again but I''ll check the earthing later and see if I can find anything (really not looking forward to trying to get a new CDI).

When I got the bike it had no battery and the main fuse was blown, reading old posts on here I'm thinking the reg/rec might have overpowered everything at some point.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Ah that does sound like you CDI is ferked. You should be able to get hold of one off one of the lads.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just set it up with closed valves, and after you start riding, the CDI will turn the valves open. all you need to do is keep the throttle open and your problem is gone 8)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

out of interest what RPM do they open up?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

JanBros wrote:just set it up with closed valves, and after you start riding, the CDI will turn the valves open. all you need to do is keep the throttle open and your problem is gone 8)
Sound thinking! But sadly only direction that works is closed.. maybe I need to rig the valves up to the choke lever and just work them manually!
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

about 7500 rpm
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

bozbridge wrote:
JanBros wrote:just set it up with closed valves, and after you start riding, the CDI will turn the valves open. all you need to do is keep the throttle open and your problem is gone 8)
Sound thinking! But sadly only direction that works is closed.. maybe I need to rig the valves up to the choke lever and just work them manually!
just switch the wires and they will open :D
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Ok, seriously pulling my hair out now!

Got a CDI off Ebay, part number 21119-1234. Don't think it's off a C model but it should still do the right thing. I have the same problem, when the ignition is turned on the servo motor closes then does nothing. I've unplugged the 2 pin connector and checked voltage. When the ignition is turned on I get this:

0v for 2 seconds. -12.3V for 2 seconds. 0V for 2 seconds. -12.3V for 2 seconds.

Negative power closes the servo, so to open it surely the CDI should send out some +tive voltage? And I'm guessing it should do it between the negative times. I've put negative and positive to the servo and it opens and closes no problem. I've now got 2 CDI's both giving the same fault, as daft as it sounds I think I've just bought a CDI that's blown in the same way as my original one!

If anyone's looked into problems like this before and had any result any help would be appreciated!
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

I'll be looking at mine later this evening now I have all the bits to put the top end back together.
You're looking at the 2 pin connector going to the KIPS motor, so you want me to measure it as you've done?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

philfingers wrote:I'll be looking at mine later this evening now I have all the bits to put the top end back together.
You're looking at the 2 pin connector going to the KIPS motor, so you want me to measure it as you've done?
It'd be a big help Phil, thanks.. That's all I did, stuck the avo into the pins from the loom and turned the ignition on..