Lost Spark

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Post Reply
kghost
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am
Location: Australia

Lost Spark

Post by kghost » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:56 am

So I've had a bit of fun with my 1988 KR-1B........

Rode it around for 150 Kms yesterday. No issues.

Jumped on it to run to the shop yesterday afternoon......Tooling along slowly turning about 4-6,000 rpm and poof. No more Spark.

Everything else works. Headlights turn signals, Kips Motor etc.

Trouble shooting till Blue in the face.

Coil - .3 ohms on the primary, 4.7 kohms on the secondary (right on Manual spec)

Exciter windings 150 ohms White to Black and Red to black, 4.7 ohms White to Red.
(there is no manual value for white to black but I'm assuming that 150 ohm would be in the acceptable range)

Diode checked 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 within manual spec.

Pulser (Pickup Coil) - 123 ohm

Grounds checked, Ignition switch checked (white - Brown, Red - Red/white), Positive power to the CDI.

Only thing I can figure is the CDI has given up the ghost.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever disassemble the CDI for inspection trouble shooting?

Anyone got a spare KR-1B CDI they want to sell? Its the 21119-1234 unit.

Anyways.....very frustrated in Oz

User avatar
James P
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Lost Spark

Post by James P » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:57 am

Could this problem have been caused by a dodgy regulator Tim? In such cases, the general consensus seems to be that the tacho stops working first, soon followed by the CDI unit :( .

Regards,
James

kghost
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am
Location: Australia

Re: Lost Spark

Post by kghost » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am

Reg checked good before it Quit.

Was showing 13.7 - 14.2 V max at high RPM about what would be normal.

James, you don't know where I can get one for a bit of troubleshooting do you?

Have one you want to part with?

I'd like to get a Zeeltronic anyways....just looking to justify the cost.

User avatar
JanBros
Premix Junkie
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 pm
Location: the land of Francorchamps
Contact:

Re: Lost Spark

Post by JanBros » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 pm

there are some pictures on the forum somewhere of burned CDI's by me :wink:

if everything seems ok, best is to get a known good stator and try that first.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

kghost
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am
Location: Australia

Re: Lost Spark

Post by kghost » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

JanBros wrote:there are some pictures on the forum somewhere of burned CDI's by me :wink:

if everything seems ok, best is to get a known good stator and try that first.
I searched your posts but didn't find any pictures.

As I said.....was running fine then poof......no spark.

Having a hard time believing its stator related as all the wiring Ohms out fine.

No shorts to ground, proper resistance through the windings etc., and was running before it stopped.

User avatar
JanBros
Premix Junkie
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 pm
Location: the land of Francorchamps
Contact:

Re: Lost Spark

Post by JanBros » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:30 pm

kghost wrote: Having a hard time believing its stator related as all the wiring Ohms out fine.

No shorts to ground, proper resistance through the windings etc., and was running before it stopped.
if you do a search on "stator", you'll find plenty of problem's. it probably is the KR1's weakest point.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

User avatar
James P
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Lost Spark

Post by James P » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:28 pm

kghost wrote:Reg checked good before it Quit.

Was showing 13.7 - 14.2 V max at high RPM about what would be normal.

James, you don't know where I can get one for a bit of troubleshooting do you?

Have one you want to part with?
I'd be happy to send you a couple of regulators to try Tim, as I don't plan to use any of my original ones (already bought new Electrex ones) - let me know!

Regards,
James

kghost
Heavy Smoker
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am
Location: Australia

Re: Lost Spark

Post by kghost » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 am

James P wrote:
kghost wrote:Reg checked good before it Quit.

Was showing 13.7 - 14.2 V max at high RPM about what would be normal.

James, you don't know where I can get one for a bit of troubleshooting do you?

Have one you want to part with?
I'd be happy to send you a couple of regulators to try Tim, as I don't plan to use any of my original ones (already bought new Electrex ones) - let me know!

Regards,
James
Was talking about a CDI but I ordered one from Perth.

Bernie is going to dig out the Zeel website he uses for me.

Will probably order one of them too.........

Heres the old beastie on the road.....Paint to go yet.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest