Side stand kills engine

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Side stand kills engine

Post by Binetta Steve »

Just started today , ok this morning, then appeared on way home. When side stand is put down in neutral engine cuts out. Tried going up and down box. Fault is intermittant as 30 mins after coming home it had cleared. Neutral light works as normal , no false flashes or staying on . Any ideas?

Steve
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

sidestand switch works together with the clutch switch and neutral switch.

if sidestand is out, gearbox not in neutral and clutch is released, the ignition is switched off.

so you'll have to look at those 3 switches and the corresponding wires.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Cheers Jan i linked the neutral and the sidestand, but missed the clutch, good point.

Steve
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

I've got exactly the same problem with my KR1S, started last week but my cut-out has never worked!

So far checked the clutch and sidestand switch operation which both check out fine with the meter and my neutral light is working.

I hate intermittent electrical problems the worst to find. Probably a cracked wire somewhere :(
1990 Kawasaki KR-1S c2, 1994 Ducati 916 s1, 2006 Ducati 1000 Sport
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

Sorry guys hit post button twice - can't delete!!
Last edited by mike916sp on Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

Forgot to say - it can go for days before the fault reappears

I have checked the ignition circuit diagram and it looks like all are connected through the diode so I have checked that with my meter and all three pairs or terminals work as they should.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Mike me and you both ! , the fault cleared Fri night and has not returned. I started it Sun and Mon and both days no cut out.

Collectivly we must be able to sort this. Only thing ive done recently was take the rectifier plate on and off , which also has an earth wire. Im wondering if a poor earth could effect this.

Steve
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Pays to have more than one earth wire :P
Can it yer old boiler
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Bit of a discovery tonight, bike would not run with side stand down so took of lead. As i did i noticed water in the gap between the sleeve and the two wires. Drained it out , sprayed some wd40 . Reconected, and roberts your uncle.

Mike dont know if this will work for you , but Im going to dry the lead out with a hairdryer then put a blob of silicone sealant on the end.
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

Just finished putting everything back together after fitting new fuel lines so it's taken a while to check results of interlock switches and wiring clean up.

After I checked all the earths on the circuits I cleaned and sprayed all the connectors with Silkolene contact cleaner before reassembly including the six lead connector to the ECU which the switches eventually connect to.

Started up and stand cut out works as it should (which it never has done before!!) Major success =D>

Steve hope you have also sorted your problem but if not try contact cleaner on all connections (including diode)

Cheers Mike
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Cheers Mike , took my tank,seat, rear seat cover , side stand and unplugged everything! Took of the rectifier and battery earth emeried the base , cleaned both Sprayed with contact cleaner then had my tea! Everything put back together and hey presto fired up first time. I have also changed to hotter plugs b9's rather than 10's to help cold starting.