Stripped bleed nipple threads............oh dear

Braking issues
pablo
Premix Junkie

Stripped bleed nipple threads............oh dear

Post by pablo »

Some one please cheer me up :cry: I have just come out of the garage in disgust and acute embarrasment :oops:

I have just stripped the threads on the rear brake caliper bleed nipple on my trials bike #-o I am Pee'd right off I allways say "tights tight too tights 7u<k3d" and now in this case it is #-o

I've never done this before,so do any of the good and resoursefull people on here know the best way to fix it,cos a new one will be about £75,000 plus vat :cry:

I'm not going back in there today.......................... [-(

Spanish s41te !................................... :cry:
"Turned out nice again"
rgvlee
Heavy Smoker

Post by rgvlee »

If you've royally screwed it, helicoil will probably be your only hope. If it is marginal a tap may bring it back, but sounds like you've gone past this point.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

rgvlee wrote:If you've royally screwed it, helicoil will probably be your only hope. If it is marginal a tap may bring it back, but sounds like you've gone past this point.
Royally #-o I think Lee :? I will ring an engineers I know tomorrow and see what they say if it can't be helecoiled I think I will have to ring Mr Gas gas and see how much he will do me a caliper for :roll:

I hate motorbikes me ](*,)
"Turned out nice again"
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi what size is the bleed nipple, is it possible to tap it out to a bigger size? some are 7x1mm and others 8x1 or 1.25 (standard bolt size) and probably a few more in between, might be worth a go?
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

It's 7x1mm,so will I be able tap it out to 8x1.25 and fit the bigger bleed nipple...............If I'm really carefull 8-[
"Turned out nice again"
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Tricky one this, because if you drill & tap it too far, you will ruin the seating at the bottom of the bleed nipples hole. This will cause the nipple to leak constantly.

If this happens, you can try using a banjo bolt (like the ones on the Kr1s oil feeds) with a copper washer. Not ideal but may just get you out of a pickle till a caliper comes up on ebay?

Will be a pig to bleed too!

Howie
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

Pop some nuts over the tapping drill to act as a possitive stop,bcoz just taking a smidge out the old hole,the drill may want to pull in a bit violent,it can be done .good luck
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

As the threads are shot I would not run the drill into it, too much risk of running into the seat or getting it off centre in the hole.

I'd take a second tap and set the caliper up in a pillar drill, centre up the bleed hole and then run in the tap.

Finish off with an end tap (bottoming or #3).

This should keep the new nipple concentric to the seat and not damage the seat.