better front calipers

Braking issues
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

better front calipers

Post by JanBros »

allthough I have no complaints about my front brakes, I need calipers for my projects, and I have done some research on the Beringer website based on these Nissin's ( viewtopic.php?t=397 ).

I found that Beringer has the same calipers for all these modells, which means that they can all be fitted in the same way as in the link above :

CBR600 -99
CBR600 03-05
CBR600F 01-05
CBR900 all
VTR1000 all
VTR SP1
VTR SP2
CB1300 04-06
GSXR600 01-03
GSXR750 00-03
GSXR1000 01-02
SV1000 -06
Bandit 1200 06
GSR1400 06
GSX1400 05-06
ZX9 02
Z1000 -06
ZRX1200 04

but looking at the prices you can buy radial calipers on ebey Germany, I'll probably go for them and make adjusters myself 8) (today, ZX10 calipers like new were sold for 44 euro :shock: but I remembered it too late :? )
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
alimorg
Site Admin

Re: better front calipers

Post by alimorg »

JanBros wrote: but looking at the prices you can buy radial calipers on ebey Germany, I'll probably go for them and make adjusters myself 8) (today, ZX10 calipers like new were sold for 44 euro :shock: but I remembered it too late :? )
Hi Jan,
How are you going to fit the radials? some sort of bracket coming off the caliper lugs or make up a slip on fork bottom?
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just with a bracket onto the original mountings :wink:

if it succeeds, I'll post it so everybody can make them 8)
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Cool something like this then:
http://www.cyclecat.com/OBM1-1.htm

I also saw some on eBay the other day for fitting radials to an R1 but cant find it any more
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

they work out at only 90 quid a set, thats pretty good value.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

how do radial calipers work? and what advantage do they have
over normal set-up? :?
Smokings Good For You
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

Radial calipers work the same as 'normal' calipers. Its just that the mounting points are positioned on either end of the caliper ('radially'). As the bracket section in formed as part of the fork leg, the theory in this setup is that they are much stiffer and stay alligned on the disk better etc. Personally i dont think fitting radial calipers with a special bracket wud make them perform as they wud on a specifically designed fork altho on a road bike like the kr1 its really only for aesthetic purposes as much as anything, if u can get them, go for it! 8)
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
http://DavyB16.bebo.com
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

DavyB16 wrote: Personally i dont think fitting radial calipers with a special bracket wud make them perform as they wud on a specifically designed fork altho on a road bike like the kr1 its really only for aesthetic purposes as much as anything, if u can get them, go for it! 8)

allthough there is nothing wrong with the original KR1-S brakes, they are good , if you can have better for the same money... :wink:

I've mounted a ZXR750 fork in mine that uses 310mm disks, and it really is an improvement. and I'm sure that more recent calipers will do the same.
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

i didnt say that they wudnt perform and of course a more modern caliper wud be an improvement. I said that i dont think they wud perform exactly as they wud 'on a specifically designed fork' but in the real world its not going to matter as they will still be more than enuff for a bike like a kr1, just my opinion if thats ok with u... :?
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
http://DavyB16.bebo.com
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

a well performing none radial setup is better than an average radial system.

just look at comments that the KTM superdukes stoppers get.... like hitting a skip, dopping an anchor off the back..

or to quote PB "and conventially mounted Brembo 4 pots perform better than 90% of the radially mounted rubbish we have tried recently"

from there PB 50 bikes that matter, isnt it about time that they had another storker in there surely to go along with the 750 Kwak Triple?
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Rome69
Smoker

Post by Rome69 »

From an engineering point of view I think the whole radial thing is just a marketing gimick. Top of the range radials may be great but if you compared their preformance to conventionaly mounted ones of the same spec you'd never tell the difference.
They do look nice though. :roll:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

for the future radials it will be !

look at competition-bikes : they are all on radials, and that 's not for the looks :lol:
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

yes but competition bikes have the best radial brakes made by the brake manufacturers specifically for the bikes
bikes like the new gsxr and zx,s are just massed produced to mimic the look of the racers.
i bought brembo brakes off an aprilla for my project ,as the one thing that amazes me are the brakes on my mates 02 rs250 they are bloody amazing and i only paid £60 complete for them..
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

so it sounds like really they are a fashion thing
Smokings Good For You
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Well there a set of new billet six pots with pads on Evil Bay ATM. Look the dog's bo--ocks