repro brake hoses

Braking issues
pablo
Premix Junkie

repro brake hoses

Post by pablo »

Anyone used these chaps :?: I want to replace the hoses but keep the original look and these seem to fit the bill :-k
www.japanesemotorcyclebrakehoses.com/ -
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

They look fine - I see they also do the hoses with the springy things on them excuse my ignorance but what exactly are they for?
Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
Leewc
Smoker

Post by Leewc »

They look good, probably get some for my bike.
Restoring a KR1.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I do find it odd that some people decide to restore a bike completely back to standard, replacing every nut, bolt, washer and split pin with the exact same ones produced by the factory, including any design flaws of the original machine.
There are of course some very outstandg restoration projects on this forum, however, some of them go that little bit further by improving the finish or some other small detail, i.e polished metal, stainless steel shiny bolts or uprated tyres etc.

I am not saying it is wrong or critisizing, but I cant' quite get my head around what would motivate anyone to follow such a course of action. I suppose it coule be likened to restoring an antique queen anne cabinet back to its original condition, complete with wobbly feet and dodgy hinges.

I of course come from a differnt line of thought,
If its broke, then fix it, if it was designed broken thin still fix it or make it better. But then again, it brings into question the subjective definition of 'better'.

I'm just rambling.... :roll: ...I'll get my coat
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Scooble,your reply made me grin,cos I'm not sure I understand myself :) Your likening of a bike restoration to the restoration of a queen Anne cabinet is spot on.A few years ago I restored a kawasaki Z1b it's 99% standard and looks the biz 8) but wind the throttle on a bit too much in the middle of a bend and you soon realise its still got its wobbly feet and dodgy hinges #-o
It would be transformed with modern suspention and brakes,particularly brakes but it would'nt be a Z1b.
Don't get me wrong I'm not a rivet counter I love the modified stuff on the forum as well as the bikes that have kept faith with the original KR1s but have been "improved" cos there was always room for improvement.
It's just that this one will be standard or as near as I can get.The Z1000r we have is likely too be,when I get round to it "improved".
Then one day,I will get the opportunity to gan mad and build something a bit special.
Now I'm rambling :roll: I'll get me spanners
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

After being told that some of the standard break hoses for the KR1s where NLA and the remainder were hideously expensive I sent my knackered old hoses to these Chaps.
http://www.japanesemotorcyclebrakehoses ... index.html
They are very good reproductions of the originals and the brakes feel good and solid.I'll be happy to use them again when I get round to the 1000r
ROSEMOUNTCLASSICS
lurker

Post by ROSEMOUNTCLASSICS »

I totally agree, I am restoring a KR1S in black and green at the moment, Firstly I'm modifying the front fairing to take twin headamps from a VFR 400 h***a and putting twin round tail/stop lamps in the rear. Changing colour scheme to Candy lime green and Peugeot Nera Black metallic with the green metallic, also considering doing an under seat exhaust system, All bolts have been changed to stainless steel so nothing wrong with modifcation!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

would an underseat exhaust system have a negative impact on the performance of the expansion chambers?

I do like the idea of underseat cans, as it keeps them out of the way in the event of a spill
ROSEMOUNTCLASSICS
lurker

Post by ROSEMOUNTCLASSICS »

I will keep the expansion chambers and lengthen the pipes between it and the back pipes and 1/2 a 636 back end, have the plans drew up so this week the fun will begin!