Brake bleeding Issues

Braking issues
Jiffi77
Heavy Smoker

Brake bleeding Issues

Post by Jiffi77 »

I've now got one of the syringe kits recomended (nice piece of kit), when bleeding the left hand caliper I get a constant stream of air in the pipe regardless of how many times I repeat the process. Is it possible that air is being drawn through the threads of the bleed nipple (the bleed nipple does seem to be a loose fit) ?
The brakes do feel better since using the syringe but not as solid as they should be.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Yes, what you describe is not only possible, but apparently somewhat common with this method. Try using some plummers tape (that thin white stuff) around the thread of the bleed nipple to seal it. That seems to be the most common solution.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

The stuff you need is called PTFE tape and is available at most DIY and all plumbers merchants.

Neil.
If you have a Parking Ticket or Speeding Ticket take a look at PePiPoo. Helping the Motorist get Justice.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

that's why I force the fluid in through the bleeding nipple upwards nowadays to the master cylinder, than that problem is solved 8)

you just have to make sure the air is out off the nipple/tube when putting it on (some icking against the hose so the air goes up into the syringe) :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Jiffi77
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jiffi77 »

Cheers for your input guys, is the problem likely to be the bleed nipple (they look like standard ones) or the threads in the caliper ?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just put the Teflon tape (PTFE) arrond the treat off the nipple and it'll be ok :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I had hell of a game bleeding mine and the only thing that worked for me
was tying the lever back and leaving it overnight with the rubber bit removed from the master cylinder and cap just resting on top.
Can it yer old boiler
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I also had problems getting mine to bleed until I fitted one of the radial M/C's with the bleed nipple on top - Sooo much easier than before \:D/