Bleeding Brakes!!

Braking issues
nickbee
Light Smoker

Bleeding Brakes!!

Post by nickbee »

:?: Recently got some new HEL lines for the KR1S, bleeded the rear no problems today but then tried the front and nothing happening at all!

Took the master cylinder off and removed top, poured in some fluid and then pushed the plunger in but it didn't draw any fluid through, could the seals be knackerd?

Any ideas?

Thanks Nick.
Kr1stofer
Smoker

Post by Kr1stofer »

Hi Nick,

Brake bleeding can be a right pain when it 'aint going to plan especially when you eventualy get fluid through and the lever has about as much resistance as a marshmallow.... :(

All i can suggest is that you follow any motorcycle brake bleeding procedures, check all the components for any blockages/kinks (including the new lines) and look for any damage to seals etc - my original 1S master cylinder felt ok but one look at the outer seals told me that it had'nt been touched in nearly 2 decades - 17 year old brakes on a 130+ mph bike 'aint confidence inspiring. :-k

Take a look on evilbay and track yourself down a newish mastercylinder if the old one is shot - got a VTR SP1 master cylinder on mine (even uses the same mounting clamp as the original 1S) .

Just one more thing, a local 'Old school' bike mechanic told me that cracking off (then tightening) the mastercylinder bolt as you bleed the brakes normaly can help in most cases.
Team Issac Hunt Racing
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

buy yourself a seringe that has the same diameter as the bleeding bolt at the end. suck the old fluid out off the reservoir on the master cylinder. suck the seringe full with new braking fluid and place the tube on the bleeding bolt. tick a few times on the tube/caliper to make sure the air that is in the bleeding bolt raises in the seringe. open the bleeding bolt and push the fluid in. repeat this a few times and in less then 10 minutes, your brakes are totaly bleeded :wink:
Last edited by JanBros on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

or do what i did. fit a zx636 master cylinder,[year 03-04] its exactly the same fitting for the brake light switch wires and the lever fits exact
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
nickbee
Light Smoker

Post by nickbee »

:D I did have another go today but no luck, i hate brake fluid it just seems to make a mess at least with oil it wont damage paintwork!!!

Thanks guys for the info will check out ebay and see whats out there also i'll see if z power can still get the seals for the master cylinder.

Nick.
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I have been trying to bleed my brakes and still no joy :evil: :cry:
I am going to get some syringes and try Jan Bros's method

If that doesn't work i will just have to put my boot on the tyre to slow down :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Right
I ended up doing the reverse bleed method with a syringe and although
they didn't feel any better after,i tied the brake lever back and left it a few hours and that seemed to do it :D

My rear brake isn't quite right but i think it's a combination of a KR1S rear caliper and a YPVS rear master cylinder on a bracket which is a little bit flexible :roll:
Can it yer old boiler