caliper pistons

Braking issues
flinty

caliper pistons

Post by flinty »

I've found my first problem!! I'm overhauling the brakes on the KR1S and i've found the brake pistons to be pretty badly mangled and pitted so i'm looking to put in new ones. Question is, are those piston inserts (insulators) essential? or can i just bung in new pistons sans inserts? How do the inserts come out?

any advice much appreciated, also any tips on where to source pistons and if necessary inserts? I've spoken to wemoto and they only supply a piston kit with the seals included, trouble is i've already bought all the seals....doh!!
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

should be able to get the right ones from big k....probably the same as zxr400...any good dealer will know...the insulators are just that...they spread the load over the pad and stop heat being transfered to the caliper and boiling your fluid....best to leave em as they were made if pos.....or you could do the fireblade caliper mod(cheap on ebay) and an easy fit...or i think gsxr six pots go straight on....there's posts about it.... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

Wemoto sell pistons, seals and dust covers... cheaper that my local Kwak dealer...

Just fitted 3 pistons and all 10 seals to my calipers...

(Whinge) Do people bother to check things when they own bikes... My calipers were ok but the seals were falling apart and 3 pistons were pitted to hell...

(Whinge over)

](*,)
flinty

Post by flinty »

Thanks for the info.

Did those wemoto pistons come with the piston inserts or did you reuse the original inserts?
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

came wityh new inserts... fitted fine...

:D
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

After checking my pistons on the calipers they all seem pitted on the ends :cry:
Now for stainless pistons and seals ,it's about £140 for the two calipers :shock:
Is it possible to get the old pistons re chromed like what they do with fork stanchions when they get pitted.
Is there a company that can do this ?
Can it yer old boiler
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to get another pair of calipers that are in decent condition and don't need any work on the pistons?
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Can i use Dot 5 silicone brake fluid with the KR1S brake system ?
Can it yer old boiler
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

I wouldn't, as DOT5 is silicone based and Kawasaki recommends polyethylene glycol based fluid DOT3. Dot 4 you can use.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

dot 5 is also very hygroscopic...it sucks up moisture like a sponge...you only need it in race bikes that get brake fluid changed every race... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

So what's the correct brand and spec then peeps :D
I like silicone for the very fact it doesn't touch yer paint
Can it yer old boiler
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

headcoats wrote:So what's the correct brand and spec then peeps :D
Just take DOT 3 or 4 or 5.1. Don't know which brands in the UK are to be recommended....
flinty

Post by flinty »

I've got all my pistons out (stirrup pump and an extra pair of hands to block up all the holes!) and they're basically all shagged. I can't bring myself to put any back in. I can't imagine that having these parts rechromed could be economic, what with machining and all.

I'm going to replace with original type rather than stainless as they originally use hard chromed to give better friction and wear.

I think I read somewhere that you have to be careful with DOT 5 fluid as it isn't compatible with all older types of seal materials.
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I contacted a firm about getting the pistons re chromed and they wanted £24.......EACH :shock:
Went to Cradley kawasaki yesterday and forked out nearly £60 for new seals :cry:
makes yer feel sorry for folks with 6 piston calipers :-({|=
Can it yer old boiler
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

flinty wrote: I think I read somewhere that you have to be careful with DOT 5 fluid as it isn't compatible with all older types of seal materials.
Use 5.1 as that is compatable. The best fluid I've come across is Halfords own Brand 5.1.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk