better brakes?

Braking issues
canolman

better brakes?

Post by canolman »

I know it's probably been asked before but I'm a new boy to all this so here goes. I've just bought a Supermono project that has a KR-1S front end, forks,wheels,discs and ZXR400 calipers that are in a shocking state. Does anybody know what else will fit without mods or would the original kit do the job? I need plenty of power for racing, I don't think renovating the ZXR's will be cost effective :-k
thanks
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

KR-1S brakes are probably plenty powerful enough (they are the same as on a ZX-9) but I am pretty sure fireblade nissins fit an are quite cheap on ebay.
Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

GSX-R 1000 K1 and K2 six pots are a straight fit.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
canolman

Post by canolman »

Wouldn't the six pots add a lot of unsprung weight?, but man, it would be like hitting a brick wall!! ](*,)
canolman

Post by canolman »

The fireblade calipers do seem cheap and plentiful, but do they fit? anybody know for sure?
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

canolman wrote:The fireblade calipers do seem cheap and plentiful, but do they fit? anybody know for sure?
Bolt spacing is the same, but blade calipers take m8 bolts whereas KR1S are m10 and will either need sleeves making up or the mounting holes reamed out to take m10 bolts. Also need either the calipers mounting further in on the legs or the discs mounting further out on the wheel. Can't remember the exact distance about 3-5mil I think. All pretty easy jobs to do but they will need doing as it's not just a plug and play job.

Think (but don't know for certain) that it's the same with the gsxr 6 pot jobbies. Regarding the mounting bolts.
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

The "s" brakes should be well up to the job . What are the ZXR calipers tho ? 4 pot ? like the KR-1s ?
I had an idea that ZXRs had a variety of calipers depending on the year . The 's' 4 piston calipers on a pair of 300mm discs with good pads and braided lines and nice clean fluid should stand your supermono on its nose without any problems :twisted:
But an advantage with poor brakes when racing is that you will learn to cope with greater corner speed :D
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

fitted them to my hybrid just had some bushes made up with a 1,5mm offset fit nice and also using a gxsr radial master cyl...
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc