The wrong pads Wallace!

Braking issues
scooble
Premix Junkie

The wrong pads Wallace!

Post by scooble »

I feel like a right prat, :oops:
I've only gone and ordered the wrong pads.
I got a set of Brake pads from brakes4u, they didn't have ZXR400H ones listed, so I thought, "Ah, they are the same as the KR1S aren't they!"
WRONG!
The ones I received are about a third bigger than the ones in the caliper.

Does anyone know if the H pads are the same size as any other Kawasaki brake pad?
I had a bit of a look round the usual places and I couldn't find anyone that list H brake pads, I think it is because it is an import.

If I cant swap them for an alternative set, would anyone like a brand new set still in the packet EBC double H pads for a KR1S?

Scooble the stupid
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

Ok, I think I have worked it out.
What I thought I bought on Ebay were ZXR400H calipers, howver, after checking the EBC website and measuring up the pads, I have now come to the conclusion, I have the ZXR400L calipers.

Therefore, what I need is either a set of 310mm discs or a set of KR1S calipers (or ZXR400H)

Can anyone help, I can throw in a set of brand new still in the packet KR1S brake pads if needed!!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Are the forks H or L model? If the forks are H model then you don't need bigger discs. The difference spacing for the discs was done with different fork bottoms so an H caliper will fit both H and L models dispite the difference disc size.

The L model calipers arn't as good as the H and KR1S calipers. I think I've got a spare pair of KR1S calipers but they'll need new seals if I can find them.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Just looked and I can only find a couple of spare rear calipers ATM. I must have past them on to someone else on here. Sorry.
Let us know if you get sorted?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I am now a little confused, as I am not sure what forks I have.
I thought I bought H forks as thats what was advertised. But I do know I have L calipers (I checked the EBC pad size).
There definately is a bit of pad protruding from the top of the disc though and I also know that I have 300mm discs. This would suggest that I have L forks as the caliper is further away from the center of rotation for the disc.
If I fitted KR1S or H calipers, would this not mean that the caliper is still too far away from the disc?
The only way round this I see is to fit 310mm discs.
The brakes do work, but they just feel a bit lacking really :(
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Sounds like L forks to me. You'll need to fit 310mm disc's or to swap them for H model forks. If you fitted H or KR1S calipers you would still have problems as they wouldn't bit on the whole disc as they would be too far away IYKWIM.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by: