What tyres????????

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
northernstroker

What tyres????????

Post by northernstroker »

Can anyone tell me the best set of sports tyre to put on me kr-1s??? It came with a set of avons am22 front and a am23 back!! Are they any good oh and also they are oversized 120 on the front and a 150 on the back will this affect the handling much???????????cheers
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

i've run those tyres in those sizes and i loved em.
other option would be gpr100's, they are new and are replacements for the gpr70's which were very good and highly recomended although i've never riden on them.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I've just put on a new set off Continental Contiforce SM 120/70-17 and 150/60-17 monobike tyres (first time I'm using these)

I'll let you know what I think off them tuesday : going to a trackday at Fracorchamps 8) .

untill now I had a Pirelli Demon 140/70-18 at the rear, and it was pretty good, execpt in the rain.
Last edited by JanBros on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

same thing here cant decide on gpr100 or bridgestone bt90 pro..can get some gpr70 sp on a deal anyone used them?
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Yes, I have GPR70sp on now, 2 trackdays and a few hundred miles road, a good bit left (I think) for nother trackday. Great tyre IMHO looking for more, I never bothered with soft compounds before so not much exp to compare. Probly wont get as many road miles as the BT's.
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

BridgeStone BT090's good tyre, as sticky as snot to a blanket :D
or if you do alot of mileage or want something that is a better all round tyre try BT092's

I have used both and can't fault them
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

hi lads are you all running 110/70 and 150/60 or are there a few purists still runnin 140 rears..how does the 120 feel on the front? is it slower to turn in?
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

JanBros wrote:I've just put on a new set off Continental Contiforce SM 120/70-17 and 150/60-17 monobike tyres (first time I'm using these)

I'll let you know what I think off them tuesday : going to a trackday at Fracorchamps 8) .
for once it was dry the whole day at Francorchamps, so I had a great time, with great tyres :idea: 8)

they never failed me , did everything perfect, and still look like new after 2,5 hours off "racing" :D
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Professor
Heavy Smoker

wet grip

Post by Professor »

I've just done a wet trackday at Oulten parc and had a mich hysport on the back which turned out to be usless, like riding a motocroos bike but alot less fun. :shock:

I am thinking of cutting a tyre to make a wet rear as you can't get an 18 inch wet race tyre. I would like to start with a compound that is good in the wet, I had a Pirrelli H rated dragon on the front which was verg good in the wet considering but these are no langer available.

I'm intending to buy a pair of grp 70's for the dry but haven't ridden on them before so don't know if they would be good for wet use.

So what does everyone think is the best road tyre in the wet which is available in std KR1S sizes?????

Thanks
Hardcore you know the score
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

when its wet i don't try too hard :)

i've got a GPR70 rear and i like it but only used it
under road conditions
Smokings Good For You
barryj
Heavy Smoker

Post by barryj »

I didnt think that the GPR100's were the replacment for the GPR70's there is a long discussion on it on the RGV forum

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/index.ph ... 3&hl=GPR70

The GPR70 replacment is the a-10, the GPR100 replaces the GPR80 which is a more all round tyre.

Unless I have it wrong!
Professor
Heavy Smoker

GPR70's???

Post by Professor »

Thanks for the advice,

I've looked around and the GPR70sp replacemant is the GPR alpha 10 sportmax can't find any info yet but have tried to order some gpr70sp's so will have to wait and see.

The Bt 090's arent made in the 140/60/18 from what I can find out.

Someone recons the the new diablo's arent good in the wet so haven't looked any further for these although they might make them in a h rated tyre!

Just got to find a tyre cutter to borrow and wait to see what tyres arrive if any?
barryj
Heavy Smoker

Post by barryj »

Sean at the tuning works can get the GPR a tyres I think.
rgvsean
Oil Injector

Post by rgvsean »

The gpr a-10 may not be available in the 18" just yet. If you want some i will ask. RRP is around £220 a pair but obviously you'll not have to pay that :lol:

If you can get GPR70SP on a good deal then do so but haggle as they are now discontinued.
Professor
Heavy Smoker

££££

Post by Professor »

Thanks Sean I will have to wait and see what happens, I've ordered the GRP 70sp's from M&P at £145 for pair. seemed cheap enough?

Do you know if the 090's are available in the 140/60 18 rear for kr1s? I couldn't find this size listed on the net.

Thanks for the help Martin