Swing Arm Bolt Removal

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Swing Arm Bolt Removal

Post by Jnaus »

Ok so I can't get this bastard bolt out.
I've tried staring, swearing, turning, pushing, hitting and the f'ing thing won't budge. Any clues?
Looking at the parts list there appears to be pressed bearings, would that be right? If so how do I get them out?
smurfius2001

Post by smurfius2001 »

Well it looks from cruising around everyone elses questions about this, gentle constant presure from like a G or F clamp or failing that a press.
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

I thought that answer sound familar!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

And lots of WD40 or the likes soaked in overnite. [-o< [-o<
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Ok this ain't funny anymore! I have tried a couple of clamps. Shit loads of WD40 aswell a few other things. Has anyone else had this bolt in place before? The bolt seems to be moving freely in the frame but jammed in the swing arm.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Had exact same problem!5LB lump hammer,flattened the bolt off-thing still wouldnt have it!
Take it to an enginnering shop,charged me £5 to have it removed.Then before you reintall,apply plenty of grease,to repeat-APPLY PLENTY OF GREASE.
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

seized swingarm bolt

Post by KR-1R »

the seized bolt will spin and maybe move in and out 2mm or so, but along the shaft suface corrosion has started and locked the bolt in between the set of needle roller bearings.

best of luck - take bare frame to somebody with a hydraulic press
(If you only wanted to service the back end this will be out of the question to strip the whole bike!)

IF you cant shift it quickly with a hammer - be patient and spray and soak and perhaps try heating and cooling (buy some assembly freeze spray in a can or dry ice etc) - bashing the end of the threads will distort the end and perhaps knacker them and the bolt

the other method ELF/MJ? used, was find a narrow alleyway and a hydraulic bottle jack

As said when you go to reinstall (as well for axles and any long bolts) coat the shaft with grease to stop any future corrosion - not the threads though.

INSTALL the pivot bolt from the right, with the threaded end finishing on the left side of bike, so less chance of rain water seeping along the bolt and rusting up in the bearings or along the shaft - if it was installed on right hand side (left to right) was probably the problem.
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Thanks for that. I decided to hand her over to some "professionals". A friend works at a h***a dealer and it's down there now, waiting for a time when they are not "busy". :roll:
I never considered which side is should goback in from so very usefull tip, cheers.

John
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

I figured it out

Post by Jnaus »

Scissor jacks is there anything they can't do?
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

I forgot to mention the h***a tech moved the bolt about an inch then quit, decided it was to hard.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

good lad =D>
"Turned out nice again"
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Now I just need to figure how to get the sleeve and bearings out. Any suggestions?
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Ok nevermind they're out