zxr 400 forks,what exactly do i need ?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
dougon2wheels
Heavy Smoker

zxr 400 forks,what exactly do i need ?

Post by dougon2wheels »

i've just got hold of a set of zxr 400 h forks and yolks,apart from a mudguard,what else do i need,will the kr bars fit into the 400 clipons ?,i want to use my kr's wheel and disc's with the bandit 1250 calipers i have......
can i use the kr's spindle or do i have to find a h spindle too ?
i suppose i'll find out when the forks arrive,but it would be nice to find out before hand
cheers
doug
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

KR1 or KR1S wheel ?

you'll need a 5mm spacer for the stem.
axle : original is too short, and the ZXR's is too big. best thing to do is turn the ZXR's down.

wheel : you'll need spacers and you'll need to align the discs since the KR's wheels are smaller.

brakes : if you have an S-wheel, you can use your discs, if you have a KR1, you'll need 300mm discs, but I don't thinck you'll find 300mm discs that fit a KR1 wheel.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
dougon2wheels
Heavy Smoker

Post by dougon2wheels »

cheers janbros
i will be keeping the 1s wheel......the spacers won't be a problem but modding the spindle might be a bit much for me....... :oops:
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

get a local engineering co to turn the spindle down to 17mm they will also need to make a new boss type thing for the other end.
the spacers will need to be 7mm for the wheel if your keeping the kr1s wheel and 5mm for the calipers.
ade.
on the pipe!!!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

wheel spindle

Post by smithyrc30 »

I would go the other way....

Get the 'other size' bearings with the 20mm bore and matching seals. If you take the old ones to a bearing suppliers, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have the parts 'on the shelf'.

The bearings them selves will be about a fiver each, and the seals about three. Just make a new spacer to go between the bearings with a 20mm bore instead of the 17mm one.

Machining down a 20mm hardened spindle and cutting a new thread onto it seems to be a recipe for problems to me.

The standard bearing is a 6303-2RS I think, which is 47mm o.d. with a 17mm bore and 14mm width.

The alternative is a 6204-2RS which is 20mm bore with the same diameter o.d. and the same width.

This place do them and the seals:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanc ... 14&x=0&y=0

As do this place:

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/6204-2rs-2688-p.asp

Similar prices.

Added to that you know your wheel bearings are in good shape, something that might not be the case with those already in.
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

i couldnt get bearings anywhere (four different suppliers) to fit zxr spindle kr1s wheel, noone made or stocked them so i was in formed :cry:
ade.
the kr bars will fit the zxr clipons the bars are the same other than colour.
ade.
on the pipe!!!
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

are you sure about the o/d for the kr1s wheel ?
ade.
have had no problems as yet with turning the spindle down( two years several track days many hard landings over the mountain ) cost was if i remember about £40 to get it done guy said there was enough meat on it i gave him the option of making a complete new one ( they do lots of stuff for nissan and nsk i think.
ade.
on the pipe!!!