Rear shock recoomendations for KR1 with RGV rear

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Rear shock recoomendations for KR1 with RGV rear

Post by smithyrc30 »

Hi does anyone have an experience recommended shock conversion for the set up above?

I don't really want to muck about with the airbox just at the moment so the r6 route is probably not for me.

However the arse end is now too low, and it still ahs the standard damper from 1989 in it.... Well I say damper.... More like a rubber po-go stick so it has to go....

All the R6 shock I have seen bar the 2008 my seem to have no fork on the lower end, does anyone know if this fits?
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

You can get the original shock rebuilt, regases etc providing the shaft is in good condition, then get some tiebars made from billet 6mm shorter than standard.

The other alternative is to get a custom shock made. I had an Ohlin's shock converted by Russ at Mick Gardner Racing to fit mine. It wasn't that expensive and is an excellent alternative. I think there are also a couple of other makes of shocks who do a direct replacement for the standard.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

namely proflex/hagon/emc and im sure theres many more. the proflex with ride height sdj is a quality unit if you can find one. the top one with said r/h adj was hurrendously expensive on a par with ohlins. looking through mags, 600.00 was a huge amount of money in the early 90's. heijera also did them i think. an r6 ohlins 2nd had would be an easy fit providing it has remove res. this means no pissing around with the airbox. i must admit the r6 shock is a major improvent over the worn std shock, looks neater and has the added length. downside is the aforementioned airbox saga. worth it though if thew pennys are thin on the ground. tie rods are easy enough, contack BDK,(about60.00 billet anodised black alloy) or make yer own. i made mine from std ones and they have so far held together. minus 8mm i think but without r/heght i think -6mm is enough. esp if your on the road more than track but i cant remember. mine are shorter than bdk ones but only because i have the adjustment to tame rthe geomatry at bumpy/fast tracks. definitly not ideal geomatry for pot hole strewn a/b roads!!!!!