Front End Upgrade

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
cpw888
Light Smoker

Front End Upgrade

Post by cpw888 »

Ok so now, it's time for the front end.

The back end with the r6 shock and 17 inch wheel should be sweet, but I think its actually gonna make me notice just how bad the stock front end is!

What complete front ends do you guys recommend I should start looking for?

Is modifying the steering head needed, or does say something like the ZZR600 front end bolt straight on?
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

the zxr400 is the most popular mod and doesn't require revalving or re-springing, obviously yokes need to be transplanted too. the H model has the same size discs/calipers as the KR, but the L has 10mm bigger discs and smaller calipers.
RGV front ends have also been transplanted onto the odd KR.
Two of us on the forum have also transplanted ZX636 forks into ZXR yokes (however, they do need to be re-valved) - downside I found was that there was no room for a speedo drive (I'm going down the digital speedo route, (Koso or Acewell). Good thing about radial calipers is that mods to accomodate different size discs is very easy.
cpw888
Light Smoker

Post by cpw888 »

ok thanks mate.

I think I can get an RGV front end fairly easily, should I just go for that or do you think that the 400 front end is better?

If I do get the RGV, do I need to get the head bearings with it?

I will be using the whole front, complete with wheel and rotors, as mine are shot. Is the RGV even that much more solid than my stock KR1S?
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

don't know about the RGV bearings, I had a ZXR400L front end, the stem was longer, requiring a stem swap or a small top yoke spacer. It is pretty well known that the KR1S front end is a bit naff, a std RGV front end is most probably a good upgrade. Don't think there is much in it between the RGV or ZXR front end, although I prefer the look of the RGV ( :oops: )
cpw888
Light Smoker

Post by cpw888 »

Cheers Scoobie, I will see what I can do about getting a RGV front end then.

Anything else I should look out for with the conversion?

Is it possible to steepen the head angle without having to cut and re weld the steering head?
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

cpw888 wrote:
Is it possible to steepen the head angle?
Steepen the head angle? :shock: :shock:

Most complain it is too frisky and try to calm it down. :wink:

I found that raising the rear about an inch and dropping the forks through the yokes by the same amount sharpened it up perfectly for me, without it threatening to throw me off all the time.
I know racers can get offset head bearings to adjust the angle on modern stuff but I've no idea if comparative antiques like the Kr are catered for.

Have fun,

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

with worn suspenion/tyres/bearings the kr is a liabilty on a bumpy b road. with fresh everyting the kr is a bit conservative for track, dependant on the riding style ect. 17 inch rear with r6 shock usd forks allow you to alter the geomatry so it sits higher at the back, i reckon the usd forks may be more stable thanks to more weight but more so, the improvent in suspension quality. the fresher rear shock helps as does running a 3.50 front. i have 17 rear,proflex rear with r/height adj, zxr front end n(3.5 front/ and on the track it was dead settled. tbh i thought the steering could get away with been a bit quicker but i will improve my lines before fiddling.
cpw888
Light Smoker

Post by cpw888 »

Yeah ok cool. When I chuck this shock in I will see how the steeper head feels then, should be ok for now anyways.

The main reason for wanting a little steeper head angle is I am using it to race on a local Kart track, with 4 tight hairpins with low corner speed, so the rake is a little excessive for that kind of riding.

Thanks for all your comments, your information and knowledge is priceless!

I will continue looking for the RGV front end, but my next race will be with standard suspension all round with the RGV 17inch rear wheel fitted and no attempt to bring the ride height back to or beyond normal.

If anyone has any trouble dragging their knees around corners, try this setup, cause it is fun to ride, there is not a lot of traction in the rear but I am damn near sliding my hips around the turns! I have to lift my knees out of the way, otherwise I will go through knee sliders in one practice session!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Fornt and Rear..

Post by smithyrc30 »

Hi I just stuck an RGV (92MY) set of forks and wheel) into my KR1.

Used ZXR 400K model yokes and had them bushed to fit the KR1 spindle.

The forks are within millimeters of being the same length, and fit spot on excet for the cleance to the front fairing bracket tubes. Two good whacks with the trusty mallet sorted that out.

I used the complete RGV front, wheel, axle and speedo drive/spacers and it all fitted spot on. RGV discs, calipers and M/Cyl along with HEL braides lines.... Robert is your Mother's brother.....

Fitted the RGV wheel in backand 40 tooth rear sprocket to keep the gearing about the same.

If you want to effectively sttepen the head angle a bit, drop the forks over the yokes by about 15mm, that will give you about a degree. If you can jack the back up (shorter link plates) or adjust the shock length.

Looking for a rear for mine.

Just found a Wilbers 643 for an R6 2004 on aussie fleece for AU$700, but it will most likely go for more.

Anyone got any comments on Wilbers units?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Wilbers is good. it's not an öhlins, but certainly is equal to a WP.

half of Germany rides with Wilbers :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

JanBros wrote:half of Germany rides with Wilbers :wink:
true. They're as good as WP.