Alternative rear wheel

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Skinnybob46

Alternative rear wheel

Post by Skinnybob46 »

Put an RGV 250m rear wheel on a KR1S with spacers made by NK Racing, good job. I have another KR1S but can't get another RGV rear wheel, does anybody know of an easy fitting alternative??
Thanks
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Alternative rear wheel

Post by JanBros »

Bandit 400 fit's to, 17 inch but only 4.0.
I put a 160/60 on it in the KR1SV.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Skinnybob46

Post by Skinnybob46 »

Thanks for the info, does this swap need any spacers making?
Many thanks.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

yes.
I also use the disc, caliper and caliper holder. the original broke years ago and made a new one myself, so cant't say anymore what was nescesary.
only 2 weeks ago I changed the chain and sprockets, and made a new spacer on the left side, as the seal had made grooves in it. it was aluminium so it was one I made to size.

now that I think about it : the chain alignement is of to, as I needed to make some space in the frame for the chain to pass, but that is for the SV650 engine. I now I didn't change anything on the wheel or sprocket-holder, so you'll need to do something about that to.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Skinnybob46

Post by Skinnybob46 »

Cheers thank you
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Skinnybob46 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 pm Put an RGV 250m rear wheel on a KR1S with spacers made by NK Racing, good job. I have another KR1S but can't get another RGV rear wheel, does anybody know of an easy fitting alternative??
Thanks
The ZR250 Balius rear wheel is allegedly a direct replacement. A couple of years ago I did a lot of research and found that it should be a straight swap (standard KR-1 brake disc and sprocket carrier will fit). I say 'allegedly' because, even though I bought a Balius rear wheel, I haven't yet had a chance to mock it up with the standard parts in a KR-1 swing arm to be 100% certain. The wheel spokes are a bit of an odd design, but shouldn't stand out too much on a KR-1. If used on a KR-1S, you may like to change the front wheel to a 3-spoke design to make the rear wheel less obvious.
The Balius changed from monoshock rear suspension to twin shocks for the 1997 model, but this did not affect the parts in question. These wheels are cheap-as-chips in Japan - I think I got mine (no dents, bends or other damage, but needs blasting and repainting) for less than 1000 Yen, but of course the cost of postage must be considered. I vaguely remember it being sent via sea mail for about 7000 Yen.

I also looked at a Yamaha XJR400 wheel (uses same sprocket carrier and cush-drive as early TZR250), but didn't get past the 'investigation' stage - it may work, but the Balius wheel should be a lot easier.

Regards,
James
Skinnybob46

Post by Skinnybob46 »

Thanks James.