Fork Seal Replacement

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Fork Seal Replacement

Post by sacko »

Does anyone have any advise or a How to on Replacing fork seals. I am just wondering if it is something I should tackle or if their are many special tools needed so I will not be able to do it myself. I have looked at the manual and it shows special tools but wondered if their are any workarounds :roll:
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

This was well documented on the old forum, and there are two ways without special tools:

1. Compress the fork completely (hold the leg in vise and tie off with the strap which you compress it with, or get someone to hold it pressed in) then undo the large allen bolt at the bottom. Compressing the fork is apparently enough to lock the nut on other side, if it's tight may be tricky though. If you have a burp gun you might not even need to compress the fork. Everything can then be seperated.

2. With the dust seal removed tap a small hole through the seal so that a pointy screw can be started in the hole (without touching the stanchion), then screw it down til it pushes the seal up (usually needs a screw each side). The new seal is just slid down the stanchion.

I personally had only done this the second way, but only because I didn't know the other way til recently, I will be doing it the first way next time as it makes it easier to clean out (I think). The second way is quite tricky and requires care and time not to damage the stanchion.
dangerousdan
Heavy Smoker

Post by dangerousdan »

problem with method 2 is that you don't change the bush, which should be changed everytime as it acts as another seal of sorts.
I can do a fork in about 20 mins on a good day. Use the old seals and bushes to tap the new ones in or you'll damage/puncture the new ones.
unless your really unlucky, method 1 will undo the allen bolt. falling that a buzz gun will be needed I'm afraid.

Good luck! :D
www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk
Racing Classic 125GP's this season in CRMC!
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Good to know, I'll be changing the bushes next time.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Thanks for the advice I have seen lots of seals for sale on ebay but not bushes or oil where is the best place :?: Sorry if I am being stupid but only had the Bike a week and looks like I have a bit of maintenance to do :wink:
jallen
Light Smoker

Post by jallen »

I bought a set of seals and bushes and took the forks to the local motorcycle engineers (Silverex in Braintree) and they rebuilt them for £25 including the oil and polishing the chrome.

John
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Sounds good to me where did you buy the bushes and seals from :?:
jallen
Light Smoker

Post by jallen »

sacko wrote:Sounds good to me where did you buy the bushes and seals from :?:
I got the seals from ebay and bought the bushes from Fowlers although any Kawasaki dealer would be able to get you them. I can find the part numbers if you like.

John
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Thanks John that would be great :D
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I have finally got round to removing the forks (a slite side line of removing the engine for crank rebuild :shock: ) Anyway I have the forks still completely intact and thought I would just try and undo the allen key bolt at the bottom how tight is that :oops: . I was under the impression that it would spin quite easily and I would then need an air gun but I couldn't turn it even holding the fork in a vice :!:

Is it because the fork is still together and I need to remove the springs before I can undo it? Or do I have a problem :?:
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

you have to have the preload fully on and the fork under compression, for the spring to act fully,then if it doesnt move you will have to strip the fork and use the kwaka tool or a home made one to hold the cylinder while you undo the bolt..i made one out of tufnol, but cant find it at the moment...
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

The thing was I was under the impression it would spin not be super tight :shock:

Is this normal then that the allen key nut cannot be removed unless the fork is compressed :?:
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

some of mine have just undone(with the forks under compression) some havn't just depends when they where last serviced and what loctite they used..
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

depends if some arse has gone overboard with loctite or got a windy gun on there or both :shock:

my m8 had a rite old job doing his.... same thing on my cbr as well :evil:
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I can confirm someone has gone to town on mine too tried everything no luck :cry: Looks like its off to the garage with the forks in defeat :(