Frame / Repair / Replace

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Frame / Repair / Replace

Post by Tambo »

Hi folks, could do with your advice / experience on this one.

Bought my bike as a basket case, so wasn't too bothered about a lumpy weld on the frame next to the swing arm pivot. Fortunately the rest of it is'nt as bad as it looked, so I'm restoring / repairing to get it back on the road.

Not sure what to do about the frame;

1. Get it repaired properly, maybe with a small plate over the area.
2. Get another frame (some going for next to nothing on ebay)

If I get another frame, do I have to get one with a V5 ? or can I get the numbers transferred over to my registration ?

Should I worry about HPI checks on my original frame, and any potential new one ?

Indecision is a terrible thing !! Should really get it to my welder, as he will probably decide for me !!

Grateful for your thoughts.

Tambo
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

The frame effectively IS the bike - the frame number goes with the registration number on which hangs the bike's history, your insurance etc. Swapping an engine is no probs, you just update the engine number on the logbook.

Because of this, I'd be reluctant to swap the frame for another one, unless yours really is scrap. If you can find another legit frame with a V5 then it's OK but you'll end up with a 'new' bike.

I'm building one bike out of two rough donors - I chose the frame of the one with a UK reg number and V5 just to avoid problems down the line (the other bike is an import and doesn't exist as far as the DVLA are aware). Trying to register a 'new' frame isn't impossible but it is hassle and expense (I'd have to prove I paid import duty, then get it inspected by DVLA etc.).

Get your existing frame repaired ! :lol:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
frog32
Premix Junkie

FRAME

Post by frog32 »

hi tambo,

with the foreign frame you can apply at the dvla for a age related plate (£19 last time i registered 2 german lcs :wink: )

the local post office will tell you with document you need to send off

dont be put off by the foreign frame its easy and hassle free to do
2 strokes our way of life :-)