Standard Fork Set Up ??

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
KRdum

Standard Fork Set Up ??

Post by KRdum »

Hi all,
I'm after some of your valuable wisdom/experience on standard front fork set up on a KR1S.
I weight 14 stone & only ride it on the road.
My question is what fork oil weight & air gap would best suit this kind of riding at my weight ?
I have read various posts & I'm undecided between 10w/15w oil with either 186mm/160mm/140mm air gap ???
Also, do you all drop the forks the recommended 10mm through the yokes ???
Thoughts or experinces would be much appreciated.......
Many thanks.
90 KR1S :P
90 ZXR750H2 :P
2012 Z1000SX :roll:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Standard Fork Set Up ??

Post by JanBros »

you'll have to figure that out for yourself. if you have no clue, stick to what the manual says.

if you feel like the front is dancing over bumps, use thicker oil. if you feel it is to uncomfortable , use thinner oil.
pre-load only set's the negative suspension travel, and not the stiffness of the spring. as a side-effect it alsoo changes the ride-height.
air gap determines the progressiveness of the spring, as the air-gap acts like a pneumatic spring when compressed. the smaller the gap, the more progressive and the harder it get's to compress the fork fully. I'd start with a big air gap, and when you bottom-out, add oil in small stepd untill you no longer bottom out.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: Standard Fork Set Up ??

Post by mellorp »

As JanBros says any bike needs setting up to the rider. What might work for me, might not work for you

If you want quicker steering lower the front/raise the back
If it slaps over bumps but steers great you need a damper
If it's lazy and wont turn but that's how you like it leave it
If it bottoms out why. Springs not stiff enough, not enough preload
If it's too stiff is the oil, too thin and too much, too little and too thick
Static sag all wrong Front/back mis matched

Lots of stuff to fiddle with, and every action has a reaction. Changing the back end might make it steer better/worse. Altering the front end might make the back end worse. Is the rear shock OK or does it need a refurb ?

If it rides OK leave it...