Wheel weight

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
alimorg
Site Admin

Wheel weight

Post by alimorg »

Hi All,
Just weighed some KR-1 wheels, disks, tyres, cush drive, sprocket and speedo drive to post to someone, now these came in at around 23kg on our crappy bathroom scales, the other week I got rid of some KR-1S wheels and posted them too, now the S wheels (this time without disks) weighed in at at 29 kg thats a whopping 6kg heavier without the disks. So what? well if you have lighter wheels etc, the suspension finds it easier to cope (something to do with a sprung / unsprung mass ratio) so my question is this why arent all the racers running KR-1 wheels? is it just tyre choice?
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

KR1s wheels are much nicer lookig tho....but is it that important on the road?
most racers fit rgv rears anyway, but i wonder if they will now look at fitting a kr1 front (both 3 spoke)
will have to weigh a kr1 front and a 1s front....mmmh
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Actually thinking about it there may be a big difference in the weight of the tyres, the S wheels had Avon AM23/23s on and the KR-1 wheels had radials.
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams