Fitting new bearings

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Fitting new bearings

Post by headcoats »

I have removed the old bearings from my KR1S front wheel with a bearing remover tool and now i need to fit the replacements.
I'm a bit hesitant to fit them as i don't want to damage the wheel or the bearings.

Can i drift them in with a correct size socket or is this dodgy
any ideas/help would be great :D
Can it yer old boiler
alimorg
Site Admin

Re: Fitting new bearings

Post by alimorg »

headcoats wrote: Can i drift them in with a correct size socket or is this dodgy
any ideas/help would be great :D
Thats what I did - If you pop the bearings in the freezer for a while and warm the wheel with a hot air gun you can sometimes just drop them in!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

as ali said...also make sure you use a socket the outer bearing size not the inner .....obvious i know but u havnt seen wot i have in ten year in the bike trade..... :shock:
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Cheers for the advice peeps :D
Now i noticed that the one bearing well ,the bearing will just go in and hit the bottom :shock: ,but on the other side there is no stop if you get what i mean.
So do you first fit the bearing that bottoms out ,insert the middle tube and then fit the one with the bottomless bit :shock: :shock:
Does this make any sense or shall i walk away now :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

headcoats wrote:Cheers for the advice peeps :D
Now i noticed that the one bearing well ,the bearing will just go in and hit the bottom :shock: ,but on the other side there is no stop if you get what i mean.
So do you first fit the bearing that bottoms out ,insert the middle tube and then fit the one with the bottomless bit :shock: :shock:
Does this make any sense or shall i walk away now :lol:
Makes perfect sense to me! and yet again that is exactly how I did mine - so I hope its right!

Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams