Fork Strip Problem

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Garry
Premix Junkie

Fork Strip Problem

Post by Garry »

Dont know if anyone can assist

I am having a problem stripping the 2 sets of forks for the KR1S i am building

I have replaced seals in KR forks before (at least 5/6 times) and have never had a problem undoing the allen screw at the bottom (only with it spinning once loose)

I thought they may be loctited so tried heat with a blow torch but they still wont budge (how hot do you need to get things before loctite breaks down). Can only assume someone has possibly used loctite and/or overtightened - why do people do this :evil:

Just to check i wasn't going mad i had a third set of forks (bent) which look to never to have been touched. Tried this set and the screw moved under
pressure as i would expect.

Anyone got any ideas before i resort to drilling the heads off (may be a big job as they don't appear to be made of the normal cheese) - i dont have access to air tools.

All ideas welcomed :lol:
Smokings Good For You
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Fork Strip Problem

Post by SP_BOTT »

If you've tried to undo them with the fork and spring assembled loosely, then I'd suggest a quick trip to a garage and an impact gun, or you can shove a wooden broom handle down the tubes, but never tried that myself.
gangus
Smoker

Post by gangus »

If you already have on apart, find a big arse bolt head that fits into the top of the inner valving tube and make up a long handle to holds the inner tube.
I used a rattle gun, works a treat.
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I had the same but with some second hand Triumph forks and the previous owner red loctited the bolts in :evil: but I wasn't aware at the time and I tried everything to undo them
Took them to mates who had an impact gun and they came undone in seconds :mrgreen:
Can it yer old boiler
Professor
Heavy Smoker

Post by Professor »

Normal Loctite will need about 160C to melt it, it takes time for the heat to penetrate so be careful. An infrared thermometer is useful

You could also try gently hammering the rod bolt with a length of hex bar to help loosen it?
Hardcore you know the score
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Yes the people who removed it for me used heat in the end Professor - but it still wasn't easy - they said i would never have removed it.

Just glad it's out :P
Smokings Good For You