Mixing tyres

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Mixing tyres

Post by SP_BOTT »

Does it matter if the front/rear don't match. ie looking at most tyres, the tread patters are very similar, so can I mix up manufacturers tyres? It's hard enough with the 18" rears but obviously the fronts are readily available, so was thinking of BT090 rear, + whatever front, (I think I have a 'new' Alpha 10 in the shed) Trying not to spend a fortune if possible.
or anyone got a good used set? 110/150 combo, exactly what rears do we have a choice of?

This looks ok, but no matching rear...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Pilo ... SwZ1lWcl78
scooble
Premix Junkie

Re: Mixing tyres

Post by scooble »

I dont think its overly critical as long as the profiles and widths aren't massively different
Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo »

I'm using a bridge stone mix,
An 090 on the rear and a bt016 on the front.
It feels very very good.
I had trouble getting a front and I use the 016 and the s20s so just went for it.
Martin.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

thanks, going to be sticking to original sizes, or possibly a 150 rear, cheers
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I mix whatever I have.
even radial front and diagonal rear.
never felt anything weird.
I believe it to be a bunch of nonsese from the tire manufaturers to sell more tires because then you would replace a tire before it is completly used.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Most tyres are a matched pair. The same profiles from different manufacturers will have subtle differences. The average track rider or road rider probably wouldn't notice the difference. As long as both tyres are in good condition and are the correct size for the rim you should be OK, but any insurance claim made on a bike with odd tyres might result in a reduced payout.

IMO riding a KR1s is all about being a quick nimble agile 250GP rep on the road. I want my bike to go stop and corner like I'm living the dream, only at much lower speeds than you would on any modern 600. I know the first thing I spend £250 on any new bike is for brand new matching tyres, a set of HH brake pads, braided lines and a service kit for the brake master cylinder. To me saving money on old or mis matched tyres is not an option. Tyres are your connection with the tarmac, the alternative is your @rse....
Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo »

I also feel that a good tyre and keeping similar rubber compounds and profiles is a good idea.
It depends on how you ride as well.
I do like that BT 090 but I see Dunlop have the alpha 13 in the UK now which I may try later this year.
Martin.
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Marty_Rillo wrote:I also feel that a good tyre and keeping similar rubber compounds and profiles is a good idea.
It depends on how you ride as well.
I do like that BT 090 but I see Dunlop have the alpha 13 in the UK now which I may try later this year.
Martin.
Dig deep, those Alpha 13's are certainly at the top end of the price range.

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/dunlop/s ... alpha-13z/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-Tyre-1 ... SwgQ9V6hgG
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

I bought several sets of the Alpha 10's when they were on offer a while ago, virtually all used up apart from a few rears, certainly not paying nearly £200 for one tyre though. Bought one of those Michelins to start with.
Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo »

So I see!!
It 220 or 240 to my door in Shetland for the bridge stones I think.
Can't be certain as I bought a lot of tyres last year!!

If the Dunlop's good and the kr1s is behaving well then I still might try them out!
Martin.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

150/70 is too high profile for KR1S. Will steepen the steering angle and looks like a big doughnut on the rim.
Smokings Good For You
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Garry wrote:150/70 is too high profile for KR1S. Will steepen the steering angle and looks like a big doughnut on the rim.
Which is exactly why you should use tyres as a matched pair.

A 150/70 Dunlop is actually wider than a 150/60 Bridgestone (or is it the other way round). The actual width is not exactly represented by the tyre wall markings where as a manufacturer while match the profile of a front to a rear, regardless of the tyre wall markings.

In the extreme case you get a front tyre that is on the lowest of the range of settings for say a 110 (from manufacturer A or tyre range B that is really only 105) and the rear on the widest in the range for a 150 (from manufacturer X or tyre range Z which is really 155). It will work but it will feel weird and you won't know why

In tyre tests you read things like, it drops into corner on the XXX tyres where as on the YYY tyres it's more stable. And that's why, because each manufacturer uses a subtly different profile.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

mellorp wrote:
Garry wrote:150/70 is too high profile for KR1S. Will steepen the steering angle and looks like a big doughnut on the rim.
Which is exactly why you should use tyres as a matched pair.

A 150/70 Dunlop is actually wider than a 150/60 Bridgestone (or is it the other way round). The actual width is not exactly represented by the tyre wall markings where as a manufacturer while match the profile of a front to a rear, regardless of the tyre wall markings.

In the extreme case you get a front tyre that is on the lowest of the range of settings for say a 110 (from manufacturer A or tyre range B that is really only 105) and the rear on the widest in the range for a 150 (from manufacturer X or tyre range Z which is really 155). It will work but it will feel weird and you won't know why

In tyre tests you read things like, it drops into corner on the XXX tyres where as on the YYY tyres it's more stable. And that's why, because each manufacturer uses a subtly different profile.
yes, all true.

but every time one changes from tire manufacturer, you have to adjust yourself to the new tires.
In the same way I strongly believe you can mix tires. Just take it easy the first miles and figure out what they do and what you can do with them. It's exactly the same. If you are a very quick racer I believe you should match, because then every little bit matters. But for plain or even very fast road use , I stick to my opinion that it doesn't matter.

I have once even done a trackday with my ZXR4/600 with an over 10 years old Michelin Macadam at the rear because I didn't have another tire that fitted at the time, and I didn't cruse :mrgreen: just a matter of figuring out how far you can go the first laps.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !