Frame painting

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Frame painting

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi, going to do my next bike with paint rather than powder coat, after rubbing down most of the frame, as we know it's got a black primer, any reason why, or tips on how to finish the job.

Or is it as simple as visiting my local paint supplier and getting the paint (rattle cans), have etch primed the swinger, just wondering about the frame as it's quite easy to see any cock-ups. laquer on top, or just finish with the silver??
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Re: Frame painting

Post by Binetta Steve »

Is it worth running the question past Chris (TunnerUK) on the UKGSER forum, he really is a master at painting and Im sure would give you objective advice.
Hth

Steve
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Good idea, but isn't that like asking someone the tricks of their trade, usually highly guarded secrets that people get paid for, and make a living from???
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

SP_BOTT wrote:Good idea, but isn't that like asking someone the tricks of their trade, usually highly guarded secrets that people get paid for, and make a living from???
I wouldnt say asking for tips as in the laquer should be on top or not would be considered a "highly guarded secret"...Dont ask, dont get is sometimes a good way to start...

What is the "UKGSER forum" Steve?

Cheers
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Just thought i'd ask on here first, as supposedly it's full of experts and clever bods :) I wondered if the black 'undercoat' was a sort of matting agent, as the frame was never very glossy from memory (or the ones I've bought)

Doesn't have to be perfect, as any new paint will look better, found a good match in a paint from Lidl, so might give it a go on the swingarm, or footrest hanger first.

Looks like no-one does any painting on here anyway...
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Since no one else has gave you much help so far I'll tell you my findings. Although being self taught it might be a load of rubbish and experts will be saying I'm doing it all wrong!!

I have found different colour base/undercoats give slightly different effects to the finished colour (depending how many coats of the finished colour you put on) ie if you put loads of coats on it lessens the effect and it gets to the stage it will look the same no matter what base colour you put on. I bought a coarse Silver (big flake) paint to try with a Black and Grey base coat and for some reason the Black base really seems to make the silver sparkle more???

I would always lacquer over any paint, it just gives it that wee bit more protection. You can buy matt/Satin Lacquer, although I have never used it myself. I was going to buy a Satin lacquer for doing my own frame.

Now that I have a spray gun I always use a 2k lacquer, seems to be more durable than just the normal lacquer you would buy in a tin from Halfords and the like. Saying that, up until I bought my spray gun I have always used rattle cans to paint and lacquer stuff and it all looks the same and does the job just as well.

The key with any paint is in the preparation, and especially with silver. Silver seems to show any slight defects and magnify them!!! Even if you have used a very fine wet & dry to rub down, the marks can sometimes be seen in the finished silver!!

Good luck with doing the frame yourself, I got less than half of mine rubbed down and thought I really don't have the time to do the rest so put it away to get done. Cost £200!! it would have been cheaper to do myself but I don't have much patience!!
They have made it really really shine which dosen't look quite right but I suppose unless there are 2 KR1s parked next to each other it's probably not going to be too noticeable that its wrong!

All depends how fussy you are and how close to original you want it to be.

My KR1S was never supposed to be a full nut and bolt restoration. I bought it to use it!! So I haven't been too worried about getting it exactly as it should be. It will probably look near on perfect to an untrained eye, but anyone that knows KR1s will know its not. I'm not bothered about that as I'll be using mine and it wont be left in storage only to surface for shows etc like a lot of classics seem to do

Sorry doesn't really sound like I've helped much when reading that back lol
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks toby, any help is good, only self taught too, (done several different restos so far)
Had my last Kr powdercoated, and wanted to try the paint route this time, which will also help the budget.
Going to try my local paint supplier next week and see what they suggest, as I'm going to do the wheels as well.