Swingarm shims

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
smoovly

Swingarm shims

Post by smoovly »

I don't remember there being any slack when I took it apart but having now offered the swingarm up to my frame I can see there's about 1.5mm to be taken up. Have looked at a few posts and it looks like once tourqued up it will go away but would prefer to shim it so it's as tight as possible. When I did my powervalve I used some shims that were available from Yamaha but can't see them on the KR1S fiche.

Has anyone else shimmed theirs or is that an expected amount of a gap and normal that you just nip it up with the swingarm bolt?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
DougB
Oil Injector

Re: Swingarm shims

Post by DougB »

I put a 1mm shim in mine

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11516
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Have you shimmed your bottom engine mounting point?
If that mount snaps it will cause more problems than a bit of play on your swinging arm.
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Agreed, it's not just the swingarm, by the time I'd rebuilt mine I've got a shim in:

Swingarm to frame pivot
Lower engine mount
upper engine mount

Quote from Harmen Lambrects taken from Team Sparrow website:

" it took me ages to find a good set up. chassis : because of production techinqies everything is loose . make a spacer (0.35 -0.5 mm MEASURE!!!)) in the swingarm bearing . and then tighten the axle . also use spacers around all engine mounting points . no stress in the frame means that the frame copes better ."
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Great advice =D>
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
smoovly

Post by smoovly »

Thanks all

Not got to the engine yet but I had a crack in the lower mount repaired before it was powder coated so I sure as hell won't forget the motor mounts otherwise I might end up back at square one...

Is it a custom job for the swingarm pivot shim or is there anything available off the shelf?

Jon
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I got one mail order but I can't trace where from, google the dimensions you need and it'll find you some shops.

Think I went for one with the ID of the spindle size, OD the same as the OD of the chassis boss at the pivot (as close as I could get) and 1mm thick.
smoovly

Post by smoovly »

Thanks a lot, will have a measure up later.