Fork Re-Chroming

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Steely
Heavy Smoker

Fork Re-Chroming

Post by Steely »

Stripped my forks ready to have them re-chromed.

Inside the station i noticed a insert, seems to have a plastic part that moves around

Does this have to be removed, if so how do you get them out?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
James P
Oil Injector

Re: Fork Re-Chroming

Post by James P »

Steely wrote:...Inside the station i noticed a insert...
Tony; I presume you mean "stanchion" (i.e. the main steel tube)...? If so, I asked the same question before having a set rechromed some time ago. I was advised at the time that it didn't matter (the insert could be left in place) and the firm doing the work told me the same thing.
It appears to me that the "insert" (actually comprising several parts) is fitted permanently during manufacture and would be impossible to remove without damaging the tube.

Whatever the case, the tubes came back from rechroming with no apparent effect on the insert. However, for my own satisfaction (knowing that traces of chemicals can remain in awkward corners), I gave the parts a good cleaning (hot soapy water to wash, hot clean water to rinse, then thoroughly dry) before assembling the forks. At the time, I also noticed a few bits of solid crud stuck to the inner surfaces which I had missed the first time around :roll: , so carefully scraped these out and wiped the inner surface with a mild solvent.

Regards,
James
Steely
Heavy Smoker

Re: Fork Re-Chroming

Post by Steely »

Hi James,
Many thanks for the quick reply, yes i did mean stanchion, not station.
I can get them done now, was a bit worried about the parts inside.
I did find your original post, when i did a bit of searching through the forum.

All the best to you,

Tony