Fitting an RGV 17" wheel into a KR1S

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Fitting an RGV 17" wheel into a KR1S

Post by mellorp »

As I have now completed this conversion I thought I'd add the details

An RGV wheel, disk, sprocket carrier, rubbers and a 41/42 tooth sprocket
You need a set of spacers. Boggy on here made mine, good job that man :-)
The 5 piece spacers are designed 1 inside the seal on the sprocket carrier, 1 inside the sprocket carrier, 1 between the bearings in the wheel, 1 in the seal on the disk side of the wheel and 1 between the swing arm and the calliper mounting bracket.
You need 4 disk bolts from Kawasaki (well I did) as the collar of the Suzuki bolts are too wide, and the head of the bolts just catch the calliper bracket.
The bearings on the RGV wheel need replacing as the spindle is different (20mm/17mm). C3, 6303 or 63032RS. Inside Diameter: 17mm Outside Diameter: 47mm Width: 14mm
You will also need the seals and go down from a 20mm ID to 17mm ID
from simply bearings
I had the wheel powder coated as it was a bit tatty, leaving bolts in any of the threads, and to finish off and complement the front tyre a BT090 in 150/60 section

I use a wheel lift

Lining up the wheel spindle and spacers is an absolute doddle, the last spacer I needed to ease the swing arm away from the calliper bracket and it just dropped into place.
Last off you might need to space the chain guard across away from the tyre as the tyre is a very tight fit, a simple washer inside the guard on the locating lug does the trick

Happy Days
And it looks like this, last pic is a close up of the 2 spacers either side of the calliper carrier

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Fitting an RGV 17" wheel into a KR1S

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks, that excellent info, glad people are sharing stuff like this, got an RGV wheel, might give it a go at some point.
well done, for a great write-up =D>
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: Fitting an RGV 17" wheel into a KR1S

Post by mellorp »

SP_BOTT wrote:Thanks, that excellent info, glad people are sharing stuff like this, got an RGV wheel, might give it a go at some point.
well done, for a great write-up =D>
What I would say is you should mic up the bearings and seals OD and width from the RGV wheel to confirm the size, and reduce the ID from 20 to 17mm. I think I got the sizes correct but I might have got it wrong. The simply bearings site is really easy to get what you want and save a packet on buying genuine NOS.

I have a digital micrometre and have found it invaluable.

The sprockets supplied by B&C express for one and SB Partz in Hull for the other. Delivered within 24 hours