HI HAS ANYONE DONE THIS, OPPS

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
bsa70
Light Smoker

HI HAS ANYONE DONE THIS, OPPS

Post by bsa70 »

tried getting back wheel disc off, and one bolt snapped off at the head,has anyone done this, and how would you get the seized thread out without damaging the wheel thread.

any help would be appreciated thanks safe motoring,

bsa70
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: HI HAS ANYONE DONE THIS, OPPS

Post by JanBros »

drilling out should Always be your last resort.

often once the head is off, there isn't much stress left on the thread so it might come out with some pliers (vise-grip ?)

is there still a part sticking out ? than best option is to weld a nut on it. because of the heat and the expansion that goes with it and letting cool again, the thread often already becomes loser.

if you need to have it drilled out, don't do it by hand as you will almost never succeed is drilling it in the middle. have it done by a machinist.
Last edited by JanBros on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: HI HAS ANYONE DONE THIS, OPPS

Post by mellorp »

Centre punch what is left of the bolt. Get a left handed drill bit 2mm or 3mm and drill straight into the bolt. This might loosen it off. A bit of heat will help, but you will need a bit more than a hair dryer. Next off is an extractor. If that doesn't work, then go up in sizes on the drill bits but don't cut into the thread on the wheel. You should then be able to get dremel and break up what's left of the bolt. Ease a die in and that will break up any remaining old bolt left in the thread. Use lots of oil to keep everything lubricated

Ask me how I know this works; I bought a wheel with the disk bolts loctited in, and yes the head snapped on one after easing the others out with a lot of heat. It takes a long time but you can salvage the wheel