Track day kr1s????????????

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
marc

Track day kr1s????????????

Post by marc »

hi im a new un on the forum unbelievabley i have just found it. just kept looking at team sparrows web page but hey ho.
i own a '91 kr1s which owes me nothing i picked it up real cheap and i dont know the history of the bike. i have have spent winter rebuilding it ...on a very tight budget....and am now considering having a go with it on the track and i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what i could do to it to make it better on the track i have recently rebuilt the forks and used 10w to air gap of 160 like it recommends in another post was considering 15w but was not sure. the shock is being refreshed by mctechnics as they are local. as far as i can tell the engine is in good condition with only 14000 miles on it the Kips works as per manual but it does have a little play in the linkages.I only rode the bike 200 miles and it seemed alright other than the shock but i have never owned a kr1s and dont know what they are meant to be like ...other than very slappy...so i have read.
is there anything with the engine i can check or be looking out for so i dont have to have itchy clutch finger. It does seem to have a rattle of which i can only compare it to tappets. would it be wise to whip the tops off.i have had 2 stokes before tzr125 and an rd250lc but i these are tempermental ..well i have read they are.
I know this is loads of questions for a new one but i really dont know
Any help would be gratefully received :oops: :oops:
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

GOOD QUALITY 2 STROKE....play in the linkages is normal...for the track....rgv rear wheel will get u better rubber(elf is the one to talk to there)race plastics is a must....if you wreck a genuine set of plastics..the rest of the forum will hate you for it... :D if you go the rgv route youll need new tie rods cos the rgv is 17inch....im only up the road so if u need help let me know.....i have two....
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Wellcome , Youll find loads of help here, There a great bunch, Ive only had my KR a while (purchased from a forum memeber) she is track day only at the mo. but considering a daylight mot..... If you do the 17" wheel conversion itll give you a better tyre sellection, youll need new Wheel spacers (someone here has specs) and some new Tie rods to componsate for the loss of ride hieght..... But i agree with most, DONT RECK your plastics if there original keep em safe!!!!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

the powervalves make a sort of ticking noise, bounce up and down a bit.

IMHO there are pretty good tryes for track use on the original rims - dunlop gpr70 or 100.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

the only inherent problem with the kr is the piston ring locating pin....the ring ends don't cover the pin and it works loose....ring goes round in its groove...usualy finding the exhaust port...and makes a bid for freedom........KABOOM...take off the top end inc barrels all at once(saves the head gasket)and check the rings cover the pin...if not its gonna go...some peole use tz pistons on track bikes im sure someone will post more info on this...best of luck...

danny harris.....R.I.P
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

danny harris.....R.I.P
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

the ring ends do cover the pins, at least the ones I've been getting recently which come in green K packets. you can check for wear by removing exhausts and examining piston, rings - push them to check they are free (as much as you can see of them anyway) and even the backside of barrel (above boost port, might need a torch). obviously a top end rebuild will cover everything but may not be neccesary.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

my first kr went bang cos it had the old pistons...got ones out of a second hand engine n bought new rings that covered the pins n no more trouble...my bike was a 91 too and don't know if or when the big k changed the pistons...anyone?

danny harris.....R.I.P
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

someone said they changed them pretty quick?

I spose if the engine does only have 14000 on it :D then it could still be on original pistons :shock: change them quick is good advice then.
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

KwakOn wrote:
IMHO there are pretty good tryes for track use on the original rims - dunlop gpr70 or 100.
The GPR 70 's are excellent for the track without having to change to 17"
You will be going very well to out ride them :shock: And they are suposed to be good in the wet , altho havn't tried in the wet myself ... yet .
marc

Post by marc »

hi just back from holiday cheers for all the advice am gonna poke a torch up the exhaust like ya have said but no worried about the different spec pistons ya mentioned ????? hopefully the rings will be good.

Dont worry about the plastics they are the originals but each panel has at least 3-5 cracks in them i have repaired them but im no composite expert.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

pm me if you need any help...only a few mins away.... :D i've had my first for ten years now,bog standard and i'm in the process of building a second.....gonna go all the way on this one........help and advice post is imminent...lol... :P elf,rc,mj....stand by....he he....

danny harris.....R.I.P
marc

Post by marc »

yeah cheers that would be brilll as long as ya dont mind coming out of ya way to help a kr1s biff. ill have a quick look first and let ya know what i find. im thinking of doing a track day on it and will hopefully take its bigger sister in case internal things make a bid for freedom. or my clutch lever finger aint quick enough.

also it need some new chain and sprockets is standard gearing best or change it was thinking of trying it withing different gearing but not sure how far to go????

cheers for ya help :) :)
marc

Post by marc »

well plucked up courage to look agree it best really if i want to take it to a track but trying to avoid the rebuild asbudget not really extend that far coz while its apart might as well do alot to it.

on the right hand piston it has a score down it length on the exhaust side and it has a little blow past just past the second ring. the actual barrel you can still still the crosshatching from when it would have been honed/bored

on left piston no score and again blow past just past the second ring but the barrel looks a bit dull and i can only decribe it as speckling like on duck eggs?????????

was thinking of using it on a track day sometime in july and wondering if it will be alright or if just take it off the road and use its bigger sister???

any advice would be greatfully recieved
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

get some pics up first!

give us a better idea, sounds like maybe a set of rings will do for the time, but pictures will help. Iv seen scoring on pistons before and they where running fine with just new rings. 2 strokes are tougher than some will have you believe, the racers get more problems as they run on the raged edge of jetting, so it may be a case of some new rings, check the jetting and away you go..

Even moto GP today 3 or 4 250's nipped up when the cooler air came in...
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)