Front fork

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
boggy
Heavy Smoker

Front fork

Post by boggy »

Hi All,
Does anybody know how to remove the damper retaining bolt,(the allen bolt at the very bottom of the fork leg)I can turn it but it won't undo because according to the manual there is a special taper tool that fits into the damper to stop it rotating while undoing the allen bolt!
Rich [-o< :evil:
potey
Smoker

Re: Front fork

Post by potey »

If you have an air impact wrench, that will do it
Failing that use an wooden broom handle and cut a slight taper onto it and use that to stop it rotating whilst undoing bolt!!

cheers
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

did you take out the spring ?

if you leave the leg complete and use an airgun, it'll come out.

whenever you need to disassemble it, always start with that bolt :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
boggy
Heavy Smoker

Post by boggy »

Thanks for the replies,i did leave the spring in but it looks like i will try the air impact gun method next.
:)
boggy
Heavy Smoker

Post by boggy »

Sorted =D> Can anybody recommend good quality pattern seals?
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

No, for the price get some genuine ones (little trick... buy some genuine h***a ones for a tenner :)) 41mm seals common as muck, can't remember the other dimensions though.
Professor
Heavy Smoker

Post by Professor »

You can make a good tool your self if you find a nut that is the right size to locate in the top of the damper rod and then weld it to a length of tube with a tee handle. 27mm AF and about 450mm long :idea:

Ariete are probably the best pattern seals, K-tech sell genuine NOK seals which should be cheaper than buying them from kawasaki
Hardcore you know the score
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Professor wrote:You can make a good tool your self if you find a nut that is the right size to locate in the top of the damper rod and then weld it to a length of tube with a tee handle. 27mm AF and about 450mm long...
Good advice...although I did it slightly differently. I made a tool from an old 27mm AF nut (from my used fasteners bucket), welded to a 3/8" socket that I had found at the side of the road. Used with a long 3/8" socket extension and ratchet (or T) handle, holding the damper rod is easy.

Regards,
James