Rear suspension settings

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Kate

Rear suspension settings

Post by Kate »

Hello,

I know setting the suspension up on any bike is a very personal. I am not the most experianced of riders and I think my boyfriend is strugling to translate my gobldygook.

Basically I am hoping you could give me some sort of head start as to where the shocks best average setting would be, just so we have something to work with. By the way I thought I'd remind you, I am yet to ride the bike so its all still a mystery.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

depends on things like weight, type of riding etc although someone on here will be able to explain all that a lot better than me!
Kate

Post by Kate »

well it is for track riding only, but I am not gonna give up my weight willingly, I am a girly ya know :wink: perhaps someone might be able to make a suggestion based on their weight?
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

It'll also depend on the condition of the shock gas and oil. I'll probably be best to get the oil changed and it re-gassed first then set it to the standard setings and work from there.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

I am wee bit hefty (12ish st) and I found the std shock useless on the road, using a Hagon on the track now (works fine for now). If its a standard shock and hasnt been rebuilt you will probably need the adjuster at full damping. look out for pogo effect over bumps or squatting too much when powering away.
rgvsean
Oil Injector

Post by rgvsean »

Start off with the sag. Set the static sag ie how much the bike sinks under it's own weight by about 5mm. Then sit ont he bike and it should sink about 25mm from the original height so a further 20mm. If it doesn't increase the pre-load but this will affect ride height. Best way is to get the right spring etc.

Then once you get going:

Suspension feels rough
Unsmooth riding=Check suspension sliding parts or Check for front axle off-centre or twisted forks.
Spring load too high=Decrease spring load or Decrease oil or change the spring to one with a lower load.
Bottoming out=Increase spring load or Increase oil or Change spring for one with a higher load.
Damping to much=Decrease damping force.
Tyre too hard=Change tyre or Decrease pressure.

Feels too soft
Damping not enough=Increase damping force.

Under steers
Caster too much=Increase fork rebound damping force or Increase inner tube end protrusion or Decrease front fork preload or Increase rear spring preload or Decrease rear rebound damping force or raise chassis rear end or Increase rear compression damping force.

Chatters (small pitching)
Rattles in steering head pipe=Check tightness of bearing end nut.
Tire or wheel imbalanced=Check the balancing and check for a Buckled wheel.
Tires not matched=Review the tyre choice or lower tyre pressure.
Chassis not matched=Counter resonance by changing spring preload or changing damping force.

Kick back (steering shaking)
If occurs when on the power=insufficient fork rebound travel=Decrease spring preload or Increase The front fork top end protrusion and the rear end height.
If occurs when off the power=Insufficient fork compression travel/too much fork compression travel=Decrease or increase front spring preload or change the front springs for one with a lower/higher load figure or Decrease/Increase front fork damping force.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

thats about as much info as you can get without sean commin round and setting it up himself.......top typing....set it all standard first and start from there..settings are;front preload adjusters leave 6 rings showing...fork tubes sticking out above the yolks 10mm...
rear shock rebound damping is set to position 1 out of 4(i find position 2 ok)....compression(on the bottle by the pillion seat)9 clicks from fully in...make sure you get the rear shock re-gased cos it will need it if it hasn't been done for a while...makes all the difference...best of luck n the manual is on the home page if you need more info...
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)