Swingarm conversion

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Swingarm conversion

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi just wondered if anyone knew if another swingarm fits these bikes, without too much trouble?? Seen Scooble had an RGV arm, (but that needed suspension mounts welding) and i don't have much access to that sort of stuff to be able to do it myself.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Re: Swingarm conversion

Post by scooble »

both (Kevin) TheElf and I used RGV swingers, I had a block welded onto the bottom of mine, but Kev used the RGV dog bone locations. Not sure if it changed the leverage ratio though on his.
Also see a TZR250 3MA swinger used too.
Someone on here was also experimenting with a SZR660 swinger too. Its fits in the frame ok, but agin not sue about the suspension mount points
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks, just read the thread that Red Devil did (14 pages long) he seemed to cover most swingarms available (inc as you mention the SZR, seems a lot just don't work for some reason)

It's just I've got a spare 3ma arm, been offering it up to a KR1 frame and it looks like it would possibly fit. (looks a bit lopsided on the bottom mount) Couldn't find anything regarding this during a search, do you have any pics or links please?? Would have bought your RGV arm, but got outbid :cry:
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Why do you want to swap the swingarm?
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Luders wrote:Why do you want to swap the swingarm?
Any reason not to?? I was just thinking of doing something a bit different to normal, and standard bike rebuilds are a lot harder work, so was thinking, I might go for something like 'The Flutes' KRGV.

Certainly not to make it handle better, probably going to keep the old tyres on for a start :) and I've got to start using all the c##p I've bought off fleabay sooner or later. Will still be using 1s wheels I think, as I do like the look of them. (not bothered about a 17" rear).
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

@ SP you are correct, "why ?" is a valid question, but so is "because I want to" a valid answer 8)

have one too, but it's in the KXR-1SS (been ages since I had done some work on that one :-k ), but the whole suspension is diferently , needed the spce for carb/airbox/don't know any more :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=375&hilit=kxr&start=15
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

valid enough reason for me, I'm just curious
THE FLUTE
Heavy Smoker

Post by THE FLUTE »

Well when I get garage sorted out I am thinking of fitting an RS250 swingarm in mine so RGV one amybe for slae. :D :D
Derby Phoenix MCC F600 Novice Champion 2006
2009 F1 British Championship Sidecar Passenger
5th 2011 British Championship F1 sidecar
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

still the best looking KR ever 8)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks, that was the one I'd seen, I've managed to get the swinger somewhere near fitted, but the shock won't fit, as the size of the spindle/pivot 'shaft' won't allow the shock anywhere near the top mount. haven't really got stuck into this, as engine was seized as well, so it's a bit of a 'spare time filler' for me.