Newbie and another front end question

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
fenno

Newbie and another front end question

Post by fenno »

Hello people Im new to this site and live in OZ. So far what I have read is really great info and some nice bike pics as well.
I have acouple of these little rocket ships an 89 KR1 and 91 S
The 89 model is my race bike, because of the rules over here I have to use the 3 spoke front and rear wheel to be able to compete in the proddy class, which means I DONT have to race against the quicker TZ's. , But I am allowed to use the KR1S brake rotors. I know that these bolt onto the KR1 wheel but are a larger diameter My question is does anyone know of a four spot caliper that will bolt to the original KR1 fork leg lugs that I can use with these rotors and not have the calipers rub on the spokes.
I tried using 1S forks and made up spacers for the axle but the calipers hit on the spokes
OR
If I use the KR1S forks are there bearings that I can put in the KR1 front wheel to take the bigger axle and are there calipers that will fit to the original mounting lugs on the KR1s forks that wont hit on the KR1 spokes

Sorry bout this being a bit long

Thanks
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Can you use any 3 spoke wheel? If so I know you can machine a ZXR400 H model front wheel to fit into KR1S forks. I have the drawings sat on my PC at home if that will help?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
alimorg
Site Admin

Re: Newbie and another front end question

Post by alimorg »

fenno wrote:If I use the KR1S forks are there bearings that I can put in the KR1 front wheel to take the bigger axle and are there calipers that will fit to the original mounting lugs on the KR1s forks that wont hit on the KR1 spokes
The bearings you need are 6003-2RS (yuu can get them cheap on ebay) these have a 35mm outside diameter (as per KR-1) and a 17mm internal diameter (as per KR-1S) they are however 1mm narrower than the KR-1 bearings so you will need some spacers made up.

As for the calipers, not sure, I think fireblade Nissins fit, but I dont know if they would clear the wheel.
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
fenno

Post by fenno »

Thanks both of you for that and Elf, I have to use the original wheel to be able to keep it pre 90
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

alimorg wrote:
fenno wrote: As for the calipers, not sure, I think fireblade Nissins fit, but I dont know if they would clear the wheel.
Cheers
AL
Nissin 4 pots off a fireblade/cbr600rr/sp2 etc are 62 ish mm mounting spacing(can't remember exactly), so do not fit a Kr1, nor will they bolt straight to a 1s either, you need a spacer on the disc and a sleeve on the mounting points.
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Red Devil 777 wrote:Nissin 4 pots off a fireblade/cbr600rr/sp2 etc are 62 ish mm mounting spacing(can't remember exactly), so do not fit a Kr1, nor will they bolt straight to a 1s either, you need a spacer on the disc and a sleeve on the mounting points.
Thanks red, so I think, what you need to do is:
  • KR-1S forks.
    New bearings in your KR-1 wheel.
    Spacers for the wheel.
    Spacers for the discs.
    Sleeved fireblade calipers
:shock: even then we don't really know if the calipers will clear the KR-1 wheel!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
fenno

Post by fenno »

Thanks
Everyone

I have done the bearing and spacer thing and it works great, except I put the old centre spacer in and had to pull it apart and put the 17mm one in :oops:
As for the calipers, Shaved a little bit from the wheel spokes where the caliper runs so the spokes now have a flat part on them,cant even see it when wheels are painted and the wheel ballanced up fine, and took around 2mm from the back of the Caliper and it gives me heaps of clearance
Now to see how it works on the track