Fork Strip Problem

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Garry
Premix Junkie

Fork Strip Problem

Post by Garry » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Dont know if anyone can assist

I am having a problem stripping the 2 sets of forks for the KR1S i am building

I have replaced seals in KR forks before (at least 5/6 times) and have never had a problem undoing the allen screw at the bottom (only with it spinning once loose)

I thought they may be loctited so tried heat with a blow torch but they still wont budge (how hot do you need to get things before loctite breaks down). Can only assume someone has possibly used loctite and/or overtightened - why do people do this :evil:

Just to check i wasn't going mad i had a third set of forks (bent) which look to never to have been touched. Tried this set and the screw moved under
pressure as i would expect.

Anyone got any ideas before i resort to drilling the heads off (may be a big job as they don't appear to be made of the normal cheese) - i dont have access to air tools.

All ideas welcomed :lol:
Smokings Good For You

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Fork Strip Problem

Post by SP_BOTT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 pm

If you've tried to undo them with the fork and spring assembled loosely, then I'd suggest a quick trip to a garage and an impact gun, or you can shove a wooden broom handle down the tubes, but never tried that myself.

gangus
Smoker

Post by gangus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:37 am

If you already have on apart, find a big arse bolt head that fits into the top of the inner valving tube and make up a long handle to holds the inner tube.
I used a rattle gun, works a treat.

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:16 pm

I had the same but with some second hand Triumph forks and the previous owner red loctited the bolts in :evil: but I wasn't aware at the time and I tried everything to undo them
Took them to mates who had an impact gun and they came undone in seconds :mrgreen:
Can it yer old boiler