Carbon wheels / fitment

General queries KR Bikes
Willybland

Carbon wheels / fitment

Post by Willybland » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi all , I wonder if anyone can help me out .Im after some carbon fibre wheels to fit the kr1s which is proving quite hard. The closest I've got so far is some BST wheels that are for the later aprillia rs 250 . We think they will work . But has anyone fitted rs250 wheels into a standard KR1s .Does anyone know of alignment / chain / disc problems I may have. I'm in talks with BST and they have mentioned I will loose my speedo drive as the later rs 250 didn't have one . Is there anyway around this as I would really like to keep this working . The wheels are quite pricey and don't wanna buy them until I can be sure lol . Thanks for any help . Will

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Carbon wheels / fitment

Post by SP_BOTT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Have a read through this thread, unfortunately no pics since Photo...did the deed. But think he fitted carbon wheels in the end. Not sure if you'd seen it or not??

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3893

Willybland

Post by Willybland » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi thanks for your reply, I haven't seen this post but by the sounds of it other bikes may have been used to get to the final result as in Swing arm and forks . I'm trying if poss to keep the look of the kr1s best as possible but with lots of fancy bits . Maxton have just built me a rear shock and completely redone my forks with there own internals but it stilll looks stockish if that makes sense without going zxr forks etc. I might even paint the carbons if I can get some to keep it looking origional but nice knowing the performance is much better ;-) . I'm sure I can make it work and have been sent the drawings with sizings etc but would love to know if anyone else has done it before I jump in. Cheers . Will

pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

I know its not the same as having real carbon fibre wheels but for the same look at a fraction of the price you could have your wheels dipped, the results look very good, years ago dymag made wheels that fitted the kr1-s

scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm

I fitted a CBR1000 Dymag Carbon Fibre front wheel to my KR1.
With custom discs made to fit.

Willybland

Post by Willybland » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I have seen the carbon dipping it does look good but I'm a real bugger for real carbon . It's not just looks I am after really , It's the performance gain too. I have some mavics on my track bike and are great but again there no magnesium wheels for the Kr1/s. Actually there are but priced at just under £3000 and they are an old style 3 spoke which I'm not overly keen on. Looks good -I have actually found a front wheel by Dymag that will bolt straight in with speedo drive and discs but they don't make the back one under 5 inch so probably a bit wide . Bst do a 4.5 but didn't wanna mix the look up really even tho I'm told they are very simular but when spending that much I want them to be perfect really. Think I might bite the bullet and get the rs ones ordered :roll:

scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 pm

I think Ben (Luders) fitted a 5" dymag to his race bike

Rocket
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rocket » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes I believe Ben had a 5" Dymag fitted to the rear of 1 of his race bikes, think it came from MJ (but could be mistaken), I have 5.25" astralite fitted to the rear of 1 of my race bikes and it fits fine, 5" magnesium CMA in another which also fits fine, only thing you need to do is modify the rear brake caliper rod to miss the wide tyre, RGV rear (4.50" x 17") is a good upgrade,
I have a pair of as new Dymags for sale,
front 3.5" x 17"
rear 5" x 17"
originally for a RGV but the rear with spacers will fit straight in and the front with spacers and possibly disc mods will fit,
will try this weekend and dig them out.

martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 am

Haven,not posted on here for a while for diff reasons,
The answer to your question is contact dymag. Dymag is a English company . Supply standard Kr1s wheels and they will make the carbon wheels that you want.
That is what I did with my zx636 ninja wheels.
BST is a South African company so you are wasting your time with them
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
kawasaki zx636 heavily modified

pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Martin, Mr Willybland hasn't indicated his location so he might be from South Africa.

Willybland

Post by Willybland » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks guys for giving me all this info , really appreciate it. I have contacted dymag Martin but they don't do the custom wheels now as it wasn't cost effective apparently with moldings etc but they do a 3 spoke magnesium wheel that will go straight in but it's expensive in my opinion for what it it . Well that's good news because they told me a 5 inch wouldn't fit but if it clears swingarm then I don't mind making spacers etc . Rocket if you could send me a price and a pic of the wheels you have for sale that would be great as I still havnt bought any as yet . Many thanks everyone

Rocket
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rocket » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Will get some photos tomorrow of the Dymags for you Willybland, when i find them.
checked today and the CMA is alloy not magnesium, the 3xv wheels are the magnesium wheels.

Rocket
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rocket » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:20 am

dont know how to get photos up,
have pm you but heard nothing.

Willybland

Post by Willybland » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi sorry only just looked , just on hols but will get back to you wen I get home thank u :-)